SALTT Club Gives the Mighty Mayans a Mighty Halloween!

Allison Perez

The kids of Esquelita Maya are happy and excited to be winning candy through games.

Allison Perez, Writer

The migrant children of Lake Worth currently live in communities where they are unable to trick-or-treat  celebrate Halloween. Instead, they have to stay inside or wait for their parents to come home from work. Because of this, they’re losing the memorable experience that is having fun on this spooky holiday. So, SALTT club members here at ILS made sure that they got the celebration that they deserved. 

On Thursday, October 21, 60 SALTT members left school, put on their costumes, and traveled over to Lake Worth to split up and visit the two main schools, Escuelita Maya at Highland Elementary and the Escuelita Maya at Our Savior Lutheran Church. There, kids who are as young as 5 and as old as 9 were waiting, excited to see the students who have always provided them with such fun activities and surprises.  

Once they arrived, the SALTT students kicked off the visit by making sure each student got their homework done. Then, once that was over, the real fun began as the classes cycled through a series of activities. These activities included making plates shaped like witches, racing to grab candy, making a ball into a bucket, and decorating spider cupcakes. With each rotation came the opportunity of earning lots and lots of candy, for which the kids were extremely ready. Bags were filled with all kinds of candy and faces were all smiles as each child made a ball into the pumpkin bucket or put heaps of icing on top of their cupcake.

“My favorite part of the trip was seeing a smile on each kid’s face.”

— Pierina Santeusanio

At the end of the day, both ILS and Esquelita Maya students were sad to leave each other. Goodbyes were said, but not without some important lessons being learned.

“The kids always remember us because I haven’t been to a SALTT trip since sophomore year and they recognized me,” said senior Sophia Hidalgo.

“I learned to be thankful for what I have and that I can make a difference in other people’s lives by helping those who are less fortunate,” said freshman Chloe Ruiseco.