Taking the Crown: Cheer Nationals

via ilsvarsitycheer on Instagram

The Green Team at UCA Nationals.

Maya Martinez, News Editor

Jumping, chanting, dancing and flying through the air. The ILS Cheer Team has proudly represented at the nationals in Orlando. It took place at ESPN Wide World of Sports from February 9 to the 13th. They’ve been vigorously preparing for this moment, and have had an amazing season so far. 

Image of the stage that the team performed on and watched other teams.

In January, they competed in regionals becoming 2022 Region 4 Runner ups and then competed in Gainesville. They were also Division 1 champions and went to finals! Then, in early February they became FHSAA State Runner ups. 

It’s been a fun and rewarding journey for them, but it hasn’t been easy. They’ve been working and practicing hard for this weekend, and have been hoping for the big win. On Friday, the 11th, the Green Team competed in the game day finals, but didn’t go through. However, the White Team went to finals on the 12th. The varsity team competed the night of the 13th.

The teams we went up against had much harder stunts than ours, some even being two man switch ups, so we placed 6 also because one of our stunts fell.

— Sophomore Nadia Pages

It wasn’t just hard work, though. The team took advantage of being in Orlando, and went to some Disney parks. 

Nadia Pages

This is the last competition of the season, so it’s been an emotional time for them. For some, it will be the last time they ever compete in a cheer competition ever. The bond between this team is irreplaceable, and this season has been one of the best experiences of their lives.