Things You Didn’t Know About Labor Day Weekend

Jadilah Fernandez, Executive Editor

Throughout the years, Labor Day has become a day where people say goodbye to summer and hello to fall. However, there is so much more to Labor Day Weekend than just a long weekend.

The origins of Labor Day go all the way back to the 1800’s, all because of a parade. Every year, Labor Day lands on the first Monday of September.

After asking some of the ILS students and staff about what their Labor Day plans were, here’s what they said.

“Some of my plans are going out with my friends and family as well as playing voleyball for ILS,” said junior Miranda Grande.

“I don’t have any plans for Labor Day weekend. Maybe I will go to the movies or be with my family at home,” said Mr. Jorge Pacheco, a new teacher.

Personally, my plans for Labor Day weekend are spending time with friends and going to the beach.

Labor Day is, in fact, a national holiday as around 97% of employers give time off to their employees to commemorate this day. However, there are a few businesses that do stay open. It’s not just a day off from school or work. Instead it is to recognize the contributions (laboring over 14 hours a day) that many workers all over the United States have made to strengthen America’s success and wealth.

Some fun facts about Labor Day:

• The New York parade inspired other unions.
  • President Grover Cleveland helped make Labor Day a national holiday.
  •  In September 1882, the unions of New York City planned to have a parade to congratulate their members being in unions, and to show respect for all unions.

Labor Day has been celebrated for more than a century and has turned into a national holiday ever since.

What did you do over Labor Day Weekend?