ILS Football tops Pines Charter in electrifying fashion

The+ILS+Football+team+snapped+a+3-game+losing+streak+with+their+33-26+win+over+Pembroke+Pines+Charter.+

Katia Perez-Sanchez

The ILS Football team snapped a 3-game losing streak with their 33-26 win over Pembroke Pines Charter.

Anthony Yero, Editor

Pembroke Pines, FL – Last Friday, the Royal Lions (3-3) traveled to Pembroke Pines Charter (1-3) for a non-conference matchup and snapped their three-game losing streak with an electrifying 33-26 victory.

Following a slow start to the road game, senior defensive lineman Lafonzo Ruffin turned the tide when he took an interception 60 yards for a touchdown.

It was another thrilling performance for the defense, as they registered four total turnovers. Sophomore Eric Islami recorded an interception, his second of the season. Senior Dominique Vidal lead the Royal Lions in sacks with 3.5 out of the five last Friday. Vidal now has 8.5 sacks this season, good for second on the team behind Ruffin’s nine sacks.

Underclassmen impacted on the defensive end, as sophomore Vashaud Williams had six tackles and forced a fumble, and sophomore Jude Servius recorded five tackles and a fumble recovery. Islami led the team with 11 total tackles.

Servius also helped on the offensive end, as he led the Royal Lions with 110 yards in only three carries, including a 65-yard touchdown.

Senior quarterback Francis Coronado had a great bounce-back performance in this one. Following his three-game slump with less than 60 yards passing, Coronado sparked the teams offense on Friday night.

Coronado completed 14 of 21 passes for 179 yards and three touchdowns, including the game-winner to junior Kiondre Glinton. The 33-yard touchdown pass late in the fourth quarter put the Royal Lions up for good in this one. Coronado also connected on a 65-yard touchdown pass to senior wide receiver Zach Barrios, who led in the team receiving yards with 92 yards.

This electrifying win was the ILS football team’s best effort in weeks. The team embraced the hostile road environment and dug down to get a very important win.

Congratulations go out to seniors Lafonzo Ruffin (overall), Francis Coronado (offensive), Dominique Vidal (defensive) and Marcello Aedo (special teams) for being selected the Maxpreps.com ILS Football Players of the Game.

The ILS Football team looks to start a winning streak on Friday, October 4th, as they prepare for St.Andrews (4-1) for a non-conference matchup in Boca Raton, FL.

https://twitter.com/RoyalLions_FB/status/1177959367351685120?s=20