The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword: Fun Activities in the Classroom

Penny's poetry pages Wiki

The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword. A new mini series.

Emma Rodriguez, Writer

The creative writing class is dedicated to creating and distributing entertaining content for themselves and their ILS family. The students work hard and put in a lot of effort into making their stories perfect for everyone to read. Sometimes, though, they get to relax and have fun as a creative community.

“We wrote a script for a short film and used the people in our class as actors. Our class also plays different games to help us learn the material we are learning in class,” explained sophomore Lucia Salazar.

Adviser, Ms. Ana Roman, uses a fun and creative approach to her lessons and always makes sure that her students have a positive atmosphere to express themselves freely and without judgment.

“Our class is pretty small, so we tend to lean on each other when we are struggling with a topic or an assignment. If someone is struggling with a poem, we start naming random things in the classroom for inspiration,” said junior Maya Garcia.

When the students are done with assignments and have down time, Ms. Roman always makes it a point to show them movies about expressing themselves through writing.

“During our lesson on poetry, Ms. Roman is showing us the movie Dead Poets Society as it is all about expressing yourself through poetry and how ultimately anyone could write poetry on anything,” said Andrea Celada.

Even though it is important to make sure that the students are turning in their assignments and doing nerve-wracking presentations in front of the class, it is also important to balance out the work with a little bit of fun. Ms. Roman has definitely made sure that her class has an equal balance of both by doing everything in a positive and creative manner.