More than a Gymbro

Allison Perez

Our fans are 2nd to nobody.

Miguel Gomez, Writer

Almost everyone knows and believes the common stereotype of the high school football player. “They’re just knuckleheads” you might think, but there is a lot more to these young men than you think. These boys have grown too much that the only way you could understand is by sitting down and talking with them.

“Physically I was super skinny, and I didn’t like how I looked. Mentally, I wasn’t confident, and I was scared to take off my shirt.” commented junior linebacker Cesar Cartaya.

A life lesson everyone can learn from is that nobody is self-made, and at some point in your journey you’ll need someone to be there. Luckily, these boys have gotten to be each other’s support, although the drive they have may falter, they keep each other focused.

Sixto Pacheco

“I’ve had a love for weightlifting since I started, and I have a bunch of friends who help me keep going whenever I don’t feel like it. I have this support, and people who help me get stronger,” added sophomore defensive end Logan Aungst.

Part of the reason as to why the team was so successful this season was their ability to get in the right mindset at their practices. Practices are purposely more difficult, and through this the games become easier as it’s just a matter of mindset.

“You have to envision how it’s going to be in the actual game, and the drills help you get used to it. When you see something happening in the game, you’ll realize ‘Oh that happened in practice’,” said junior wide receiver and tight end Preston Landry.

No matter how small and mentally weak they started out, football strengthened them. The best thing is that they will never feel alone when push comes to shove because they become a second family, and family doesn’t let family fall behind.