Winter Olympic Update 2022: The Latest News

https://olympics.com/en/beijing-2022/venues

Jadilah Fernandez, Executive Editor

The 2022 Olympics have been a rollercoaster for different nations as the competition has been impressive to say the least. These games began February 4th and will continue to February 20th in Beijing. Keep reading to stay informed on the most recent and best moments of the 2022 Winter Olympics.

Julia Marino, started off on a good note by winning the silver medal in Snowboarding slopestyle, representing the United States.

In addition, the U.S. Hockey team (women’s) ended up defeating Switzerland 8-0. Hillary Knight scored two goals in the game. However, the Canadian team has out scored its opponents 23-2 and is up next.

On the other hand, Australia’s Jakara Anthony luckily won gold in women’s moguls, for the first time in four years. Even though, others were struggling to keep up, Anthony succeeded, finishing with a score of 83.09.

Ryoyu Kobayashi, from Japan also took the gold medal in hill ski jumping, with a score of 275 points. His country was extremely proud of him, due to the fact that it was Japan’s first gold in the event since 1972.

Up next is Swedish speedskater Nils van der Poel. He successfully broke an Olympic record on Sunday, finishing in 6 minutes and 8.84 seconds in the men’s 5,000 meters category. Nils van del Poel nearly beat Patrick Roest, who had set the Olympic record earlier Sunday, by almost half a second.

Van Der Poel in the 2022 Olympics

Alexander Bolshunov, from The Russian Olympic Committee led his way to a victorious win on Sunday in the men’s skiathlon. He won the 30-kilometer race in the span of an hour, 16 minutes and 9 seconds, which led him to winning the first Olympic gold medal. Despite the fact that Bolshunov, 25, was able to win not three, but four medals during the 2018 Winter Olympics, he hadn’t obtained a gold one. However, that all changed on Sunday, where he finished before countryman Denis Spitsov.

Vincent Zhou of the United States finished third in the men’s free skate after under-rotating multiple jumps and bailing during his quadruple flip, which he turned into a single flip. In the figure skating team event, Zhou scored a 171.44, putting the US in second place behind the Russian Olympic Committee. The US team got off to a good start on Friday, but both skaters in the women’s short program — Zhou and Karen Chen — struggled on Sunday.

Yuma Kagiyama of Japan skated ahead of Zhou and put up an outstanding performance with four quadruple leaps to get a 208.94, the highest score in this section.

“Seeing the tremendous amount of effort that Yuma Kagiyana has been putting truly proves he deserves all the recognition in this category,” said sophomore Sophia Castillo.

Yuma Kagiyama in the 2022 Winter Olympics

With one day remaining in the competition, the ROC holds a 45-point advantage. The United States is in second place with 42 points, ahead of Japan, which is in third place with 39 points. It would be beneficial.

Even though so much has happened in the span of two days, there’s still so much to come in the next 18 days for the Winter Olympics, stay tuned!