Winter Formal Canceled!… “Technically”

Melanie Scheel Sikaffy, Features Editor

I still remember the article I wrote about the uncertainty of the Winter Formal, happily scratching it back into a “yes” when it was confirmed. Unfortunately, now it has unexpectedly become a series of back and forth with the Winter Formal being canceled but being handed over to the seniors’ parents. A new invitation is being handed out for the event where ILS is clearly not affiliated and the admissions cost is $90 per person. How did we end up here?!

It all started with uncertainty without knowing if the formal was going to happen. Yet once it was announced on LTV that not only was it happening, but that we had such a fun theme like the “Roaring 20s”, it was inevitable for students to get excited. I, alongside many of my classmates, began searching for dresses, suits, and accessories as I wrote about it in my article …

“I honestly feel very upset.”

— junior Sara Valdes

But Valdes, as well as many of her classmates, felt the same disappointment as she put away her emerald dress idea. Who would’ve thought we would receive the message of its cancellation on a Friday afternoon? To clarify though, it was canceled because the Archdiocese of Miami Catholic Schools Office did not approve the formal. Of course, we understand COVID restrictions keeping it from happening, as we know it’s important to keep us all safe, but it still came as a bit of a disappointment. 

“At this point, I’m okay with it not happening. I know that I’ll make up for the time with friends and I don’t have to stress about finding a dress in time,” said senior Delia Sauer, expressing the views of many seniors of her peers.

All they want out of this year is their prom, graduation, and grad bash while juniors, sophomores, and freshmen will have another year to fully enjoy ILS’s annual Winter Formal. 

Between this back and forth of if it’s happening or not, it’s important to note that enjoying the day-to-day activities ILS provides for us like early dismissals, team games, and hanging out with friends are all just as memorable as a formal dance!