ILS Welcomes a New Swim Coach

Eliza Chandler, Entertainment Editor

As swim season approaches, ILS welcomes a new swim coach, Sean Arrington. Coach Sean is from Miami and learned how to swim at the age of four. He attended Gulliver and Riviera for high school where he made it to the Swim States Finals four years in a row. After high school, he attended Florida Atlantic University, a Division 1 program, where he broke the 100 IM school record. At FAU, he received his Bachelor of Science in Exercise Science and Health Promotion. Now, he is currently a coach at Hurricane Aquatics.   

“High school season is meant to be a fun and competitive experience, I can’t wait to see how the team gets behind the blocks to support each other,” he said.

He also hopes some individual swimmers and relays can make it to the State Championship this year, and plans on promoting the swim team to help it grow as well as develop. 

“I’m very excited at having the opportunity to just race, honestly, and to spend time with the team as well as meet all the freshmen,” said sophomore Marcella Orlandini.

Marcella started swimming competitively when she moved from Italy to the US three years ago. She swims at Ransom Everglades Aquatic Club. Her main strokes are backstroke and freestyle and her main events are the 50 and 100 freestyle. For the upcoming season, her primary goal is, “try to not get injured half way through.”  

With many new members on the swim team, ILS is happy that the swim program is evolving. The team had their first meet Thursday, August 30, against Ransom Everglades and Westminster Christian.