The Scoop On Some of Your New ILS Teachers

Hannah Brewster, Sports Editor

This year ILS has welcomed several new teachers and staff. Although they are still getting the hang of what it is like to teach at Immaculata-La Salle, Mr. Paul Dean (Mathematics Dept.), Mr. Cotter Lamb (Social Studies Dept.), and Mr. Martin Saavedra (Mathematics Dept.), have already made a great impression. On top of being great teachers, they share a close friendship and spend time in the SLC getting their lessons planned for their students.

Mr. Martin Saavedra lived in Denver, Colorado and worked at a biomedical software company. He decided to become a teacher because he missed academics. This is his first year teaching but he has already received great feedback from students as fun and high energy. He enjoys kickboxing and spending time with his dog.

Mr. Paul Dean worked at Jose Marti Mast Academy in Hialeah. This is his 31st year teaching as he has taught grades 6-12. He discovered his love for teaching after he found engineering very unfulfilling and was asked by a family friend to fill in for a year as a teacher. He has a lot of experience teaching math and is very interactive with students.

“On the first day I got asked at least 12-15 times a day by the teachers how are you? Do you need anything?. They are all very welcoming,” said Mr. Dean.

All of them feel a sense of welcome at ILS that not all schools have. Everyone is very open and united.

“The atmosphere here is very happy and spirited which it makes it fun to come to work,” said Mr. Lamb.

He previously worked at Archimedean in West Kendall where he taught middle school for two years. Mr. Lamb likes working with discussions and Socratic circles. He wants to give students the opportunity to flesh out their own ideas and defend them. This method builds a closer bond with students and helps others crack out of their shell and improve speaking skills.

“I remember meeting Mr. Tim Gamwell for the first time; he is such a positive person, so happy. He was always asking me how I was doing and if I needed anything,” said Mr. Lamb.

The faculty and staff have done an amazing job at making the new teachers feel welcome. Just by asking them if they need anything can make a difference in these teachers and give them the desire to put their best foot forward. Some advice they would give new teachers is not to stress. Getting to know your students is very important, but it all takes time.

“Take it day by day,” said Mr. Saavedra. ILS is thrilled with all the new staff as well as the students. We cannot wait to continue to get to know all of them and only hope for the best in their teaching years at Immaculata-La Salle.

Mr. Cotter Lamb (ViaILS Instagram )
Mr. Martin Saavedra (Via ILS Instagram)
Mr. Paul Dean (Via ILS Instagram)