Basketball Star Mary Scheuerle

M. Scheuerle

Senior Mary Scheuerle, who is a good student, and a star on the court

Gabriela Pinate, Writer

Mary Scheuerle, a senior and basketball player, recalls a funny moment.

“I was playing basketball with my sister my freshman year when Coach Vuono approached and told us we should  play for ILS,” she explained.

Their response: No!

Shortly after, Coach Slim, aka Mr. Danny Arguello, encouraged them to to try out for the team.

Their response: No!

Not giving up, coaches emailed their parents urging them to get their daughters to join.

At first, Mary She was not excited at the prospect, but she was nervous.

Up until then, she had only played basketball at the middle school level so playing for a high school team seemed daunting.

“I love basketball because it’s a team sport, and I need to have strong teammates to win,” Mary said.

Even through losses, she feels like she still won because the team tried their hardest.

Overall, Mary thinks basketball is a really exciting and fun sport. Even though she is focusing on her academics, she doesn’t think she can stop playing the sport she loves.

Mary has demonstrated that if you really want something, you need to go for it and not be afraid.

Fun fact: When ILS played Westminster Christian, Mary had a triple double: 13 pts, 11 blocks, and 19 rebounds.

She had never accomplished that before.

In order to play and win, you need to be able to have fun, enjoy, and love it.

— Mary Scheuerle

For college, Mary plans to focus on academics, and is not considering playing basketball at the collegiate level because it is so competitive

Mary loves basket ball, but she wants to continue on her studies, and not a lot on basketball.

I feel like it important for people to do want makes them happy, and to have fun

Even, though Mary is putting basketball aside, I feel like she is making the right choice to focus on her studies