Senior Cheerleader Takes On Regionals

Sofia+Plasencia+is+a+flyer+for+the+ILS+cheerleading+team.+

Photo Creds- Katerina Garcia

Sofia Plasencia is a flyer for the ILS cheerleading team.

Hannah Brewster, Sports Editor

Sofia Plasencia performS during the Hoco kick off game. (Katerina Garcia)
Sofia Plasencia with the ILS cheer team on Green and Gold Day. (Photo Creds- Katerina Garcia).
The Cheer team performS on Green and Gold day during Hoco week. (Photo Creds- Katerina Garcia)

Pullquote Photo

I feel very confident because we have been putting in the work for months, and I really hope it all pays off.

— Sofia Plasencia

The ILS Cheer team has made it to Regionals. Cheerleading Regionals will be taking place at Coral Glades High School. Although the Cheer Team has shown an amazing amount of talent and team work, one member has particularly stood out, senior Sofia Plasencia, an essential part of the team given her performances as a flyer.

Sofia is a great academic scholar, as well as an amazing cheerleader. She has had a very positive experience at ILS and has shown an incredible amount of talent. She’s been able to balance both cheer and school even though at times, it can be challenging.

Sofia has been in cheerleading since her freshman year of high school, but does not plan on doing Cheer in college. During her freshman and sophomore year, the team was able to make it to states which for her, was a huge accomplishment. She hopes to be able to do the same this year and go straight to State finals.

If the team wins regionals, she feels it could build up the confidence of some of the girls on the team in regards to their performance.

It is easy for cheerleaders to experience increased anxiety. In a competition setting, a single athlete is often on the floor by herself, without other teammates to rely upon. This can lead to increased pressure and feeling like they are being judged more intensely.

Even though Cheer can be stressful and a bit overwhelming, Sofia has never wanted to quit because she tells herself she wants to finish her four years of Cheer at ILS. Not only does she participate in a sport she loves, she has also formed very meaningful and close friendships with her teammates.

Overall, Sofia Plasencia is a hard working Cheerleader who is a great example of how to manage school, stress, and doing the sport you love all at the same time. Hopefully, the team can bring home a win and carry on the ILS legacy.