This Is Why Vinyl Records Are Better Than Digital Music

Katerina Garcia

This record player is one of the best beginner friendly record players. It is the Audio Technica record player.

Katerina Garcia, Site Design Editor

Vinyl records have recently come back in style since the 1980’s. A vinyl record is a flat disc with spiral grooves that hold the music. On a record player the arm and needle is placed on the vinyl as the needle reads the grooves on the vinyl. That’s how the music is played.

People have started collecting vinyl records again because of the idea of having a physical copy of their favorite music. Collecting vinyl records give lots of appreciation to the music itself. Vinyls have been proven to provide an improved form of sound quality than your normal Apple Music and Spotify. They sound better because they use analog rather than digital. Records also create an appreciation for album artwork. Have you ever seen an album you love with an amazing album cover and wanted to have it big and physically in your hands well? That’s what vinyls do. 

Listening to music digitally only allows you to download sole songs. Is that a a positive? Many don’t see it as that. Vinyl records invite you to listen to the full album and not only one song. Why spend $20-$50 for one song?

Collecting vinyls gives you a deep and physical connection to music. 

As someone who has collected over 100 vinyls and albums, being able to play a physical copy of all my favorite music is a feeling that can’t be described. Also vinyl records last years and years and many times albums get remastered and sound differently but being able to say you have the original is worth having the vinyl. 

Also, if you collect vinyls after a few years vinyls rise in price and you could make money by selling those vinyls that are no longer manufactured. 

If you are obsessed with music, collecting vinyls is a great hobby. 

As someone who is a fan of music in general, I believe that vinyls offer a richer sound quality, and I think that if artists put so much work into their music, we shouldn’t listen to it with our iPhones.

— sophomore, Gianna Ferrara

What makes vinyls better than digital music? (Google)