Career Day 2023 Featured Many Alumni Speakers

Thanks to the Herculean efforts of the Guidance Department, Career Day featured 91 guest speakers, many of whom were ILS alumni, giving generously of their time and expertise.

“I was most interested in Mrs. Ana Cuervo, a broadcaster on Telemundo since I want to pursue journalism. It was an amazing experience to be able to listen to her advice. She inspired me when she explained how it is to tell someone else’s story and how you have to empathize and really live in the story. She also talked of how she prays to help herself get through the exposure of sadness and burdens which really stayed with me.

“From Mrs. Ana Cuervo-Sanchez, I learned that being bilingual goes a very long way in the news and reporting world. Many times, she records the same report twice, one in English and one in Spanish. This makes her stand out as a reporter and gives her a step up in comparison to those who are not bilingual,” said junior Alexandra Perez.

“From Mr. David Rodriguez I learned that being a reporter/ recorder is similar to being a police man/women. When called to report an urgent incident, reporters must immediately arrive to the scene and report the news to the world. If when called, they do not answer, the reporter will lose work and the job will go to the next reporter available,” added Alexandra.

to the eventsthe that happen around the community.

I have been a News Reporter for over 25 years and have participated in many career days… at other Catholic schools, some charter schools, magnet schools and excellent public schools. I was so very impressed by the thoughtful, mature and engaging questions the students at my presentation asked at ILS . The depth of the questions really surprised me. It was a true pleasure to respond and share my experiences.

Dr. Ronaldo de León: OBGYN for Mercy Hospital and Nova Southeastern, and also the parent of an alumna, went to a Salesian high school in Virginia called Bishop Ireton High School. Dr. de Leon works with ILS regularly, especially with the medical STEAM program. He admitted he was a terrible high school student and spent his high school days playing basketball. He later gathered his priorities and found out he wanted to deliver babies.  He felt it was easy and instinctive  as if medicine were a secret language that he knew how to speak.  He now works at Mercy delivering up to 17,000 babies a year and sometimes up 15 a day! Other than being an OBGYN, he adores teaching and seeing his students grow into amazing doctors.

[pullquote speaker="Dr. Ronaldo De Leon" photo="" align="left" background="on" background_color="#ffffff" border="all" border_color="" border_size="3px" shadow="off"]Dr. Ronaldo de León: OBGYN mercy and nova , parent of alumni Went to a Salesian high school in Virginia called Bishop Ireton high school. His daughter is an ILS alumni. He works with La Salle constantly, specially in the medical STEAM program. He admitted he was a terrible high school student and spent his highschool playing basketball. He later gathered his priorities and found out he wanted to deliver babies. He felt it was easy and instinctive as if medicine was a secret language that he knew how to speak. He now works at mercy delivering up to 17,000 kids a year and sometime 15 kids a day. Other than being an OBGYN, he adores teaching and seeing his students grow into amazing doctors. “Don’t do it for the test. Do it for you”

— Mrs. Ana Cuervo-Sanchez, Political Reporter, Telemundo

Charlie Sothers – Artistic Theatre Director

“If you want to be an actor, you should be multi-skilled. You should learn how to sing, dance, draw, other art forms and more, so that you can go into the world with many skills.”

“Always find the opportunity to connect with people.”

“Know your value.”

Ralph Cabrera – Illustrator

“In comics, you have more freedom.”

“ In graphic comics, you get to play around with variations.”

“You have to be ready for everything because you don’t know what you will be drawing.”

Mr. Cabrera illustrated for DC and Marvel, and he created the bears now a famous part of Charmin toilet paper.

Bella Rosa – ILS Alumna, Photographer

“There is more to it than being on TV.”

“ILS gave me the chance to follow my dreams and do what I love.”

“If you change your mind, it’s ok.”

“Don’t be afraid to try something new.”

“You learn more from observing than you might realize.”

Tony Dandrades – TV Anchor/Reporter

“Every assignment is a different experience.”

“Nothing is boring about being a reporter”

“When you go from college to entertainment, it’s a new step.”

Mr. Dandara, who has been nominated for an Emmy four times, is originally from the Dominican Republic. Because of his job, he travels a lot, conducts many  interviews, has attended numerous concerts, and met countless performers. He is also friends with singer, Marc Anthony.

Amy Reyes – Editor for the Miami Herald

“You have to be curious, and good at paying attention.”

“ You want to ask many questions.”

Ms. Reyes edits journalist who write about restaurants as well as celebrities. Her job is to add context

I learned from pilot Dalton Klugh the process of becoming a pilot if one does not come from the Air Force and the day-to-day life of a pilot.

— Junior, Umi Noritake