Sports Flash Mid March!

Our+Boys+Baseball+team+warming+up+before+a+game+as+a+team+

Giovanna Spencer

Our Boys Baseball team warming up before a game as a team

Nick Fernandez, Contributing Writer

Good Morning ILS!

I hope everyone had a nice and restful weekend. Here is your up coming sports schedule.

Lacrosse: The ILS lacrosse team had their first win of the season this past Wednesday against Florida Christian High School.  The team fought through a back-and-forth game in less than ideal weather to come away with the 7-5 victory.  Everyone stepped up from our goalie, Juan Martin Gomez who played an outstanding game in only his 4th time in cage. Our defense stepped up big managing to completely shut down Florida Christian for most of the second half. On offense we had players stepping up with a variety of goal scorers, Sebatiano Antoine (2), Nicholas Wallen (2), Nicholas Dominguez (1), Thomas Bussenius (1) and Diego Diaz (1).  The team looks forward to carrying this momentum into our next game against Westminster Academy on Monday.

Softball: Lady Royals notch back-to-back wins this week! First, they dominated conference opponent Miami Country Day 16-0! Emilie Escobar had a great night on the mound with a one hitter tonight, with 5 strike outs (K’s) and we had two great hits from Ashley Fonseca with 3 RBI’s! Emilie also had four RBI’s in the contest!!

The Lady Royals also picked up the big win against District & Conference opponent Monsignor Pace 19-6. Emilie Escobar dominated on the mound again only allow 6 runs off of 3 hits with 14 BIG K’s. She also added 8 RBI’s off of 4 hits to help her cause on the mound. Ashley Fonseca and Evelyn Riley added 3 hits with 2 RBIs each. Maria Romagnoli and Mayia Mitchell both added 2 RBI’s.

Baseball: The ILS Varsity Baseball team got off to a hot start last Monday vs Miami Country Day scoring 5 runs in the first inning. The Royal Lions never looked back as they defeated MCD 16-1. They offensive effort was led by Luis Peñate and Troy Rodriguez who combined for 4 extra base hits and 5 RBIs. Junior Jeffrey Lopez picked up the win on the mound for the Royal Lions.

The Royals dropped last Wednesdays pitchers’ duel vs Miami Beach by a final score of 2-1. Senior Jonathan Rivero pitched a complete game, only allowing 1 earned run on 5 hits. The royal lion offense had chances down the stretch to even the score but were unsuccessful. They looked to bounce back in a big way the following day vs Dr Krop High School

The Baseball team bounced back in a big way vs Dr Krop Winning by a final score of 9-3. Junior Jeffrey Lopez picked up yet another win on the mound last week as he is now 3-1 on the year in starting opportunities. The offense scored 9 runs on 12 hits, 3 runs of which came in the first frame providing some cushion for the bullpen to work with. The Varsity Baseball team is now 7-3 on the year as they eye two tough match ups this week vs State Champions Doral Academy and State championship Contender Monsignor Pace High School.

The JV baseball team won the first game of the double header by a final score of 2-1.

Freshman Brandon Nuñez threw a complete game shutout allowing zero earned runs while striking out 7. Freshman George Garcia provided most of the offense going 2-3 with a clutch RBI.

Track: The Royals track team showed up with another strong performance they placed 1st out of 10 for the girls’ team, and 2nd out of 9 for the boys’ team. The girls’ team was led by Alfonsina Santucho who placed first in two of her three events. The girls team also received a helping hand from Emilie Reyes, Mary Scheuerle, Colette Finley all placing top 3 in their events. The girls relay teams also had a great showing placing 1st in the 4x800m, 2nd in the 4x100m, and 2nd in the 4x400m.

For the boys’ team they had a very strong meet as they were led by Alexander Toledo placing top three in all of his events. The boys also had some strong help from Emmanuel Roca which broke the school 800m record with the time of 2:00.04, Lawrence Finley, Dairo Melendez,and Daniel Brito all placed top three in their events. The boys also finished with a very strong performance in relays placing 1st in the 4x800m, and 3rd in the 4x400m.

Boys VB: The JV won a close 2 set match against Archbishop McCarthy 26-24 & 25-23. Leading the way for the Royals was Diego Garcia with 8 kills & 4 aces. Mariano Leon de la Rosa also had a great game with 15 assists and 4 digs. Emilio Dibildox had 10 digs. Varsity team kept it close against a tough McCarthy team but ended up dropping the game. They look to bounce back this week against some key opponents.

The Varsity team participated in a Friday and Saturday weekend tournament at True North. The team didn’t walk away with the wins they wanted but did keep it close and competitive the entire tournament. This includes a big come from behind win against SLAM academy 23-25, 26-24 & 15-13.

Upcoming Sports Schedule:

Monday, March 20, 2023: Lacrosse team travels to Westminster Academy for a 4PM match. (12:45PM dismissal)

Tuesday, March 21, 2023: Beach Volleyball hosts Doral Academy for a. 3:30PM match.

Boys Volleyball hosts Monsignor Pace for a 4PM match. (Varsity only)

Softball travels to Palmetto Bay for a 6Pm first pitch against Lourdes.

Baseball team travels to Monsignor Pace for a 7PM first pitch.

Wednesday, March 22, 2023: Track team travels to Pace for the Spartan Invitational #2. (12:15PM dismissal)

Tennis team hosts Divine Savior for a 3PM start at Crandon park.

Thursday, March 23, 2023: Baseball team travels to Doral Academy for a 4PM first pitch. (1:45PM dismissal)

Beach Volleyball travels to Carrollton for a 4PM match.

Lacrosse team hosts St. Brendan for a 4PM game.

Friday, March 24, 2023: Boys Volleyball travels to Archbishop Carroll for a 5PM match.

Saturday, March 25, 2023: ILS sailing in action at Virginia Key for another big regatta.

GOO ROYALS!