Honor Society Induction Ceremony Recognizes Students

ILS Instagram

The Honor Society Induction Ceremony takes place every year in spring at the gym.

Alina Figueroa, Writer

The Honors Society Induction Ceremony is when students get greeted and introduced into a society. A society is an organization that acknowledges the passion, interest and discipline among a person, for a specific topic. Each society invites students that meet the needed requirements to be able to qualify for a membership in each society. Each society requires active participation from its members to be able to fulfill its missions.

On Wednesday, March 15, the Honor Society Induction Ceremony took place, here at Immaculata-La Salle where parents and families were invited to celebrate the accomplishments of their children. 

“Being part of a society has been an honor and it makes me push myself to be a better student and a better member of my community,” said sophomore Carolina Moreno.

Being accepted and accepting an honor society is a great honor. It means that one is accepting to spend extra time participating on activities each society requires. Various societies require members to participate in tutoring or projects, organize events and/or participate in local, state or national competitions. Members must take into consideration that they must manage their time wisely to accomplish their academic, extra-curricular, familiar and personal obligations and maintain a healthy, balanced life. 

At Immaculata-La Salle, there are 15 honor societies: 

• Art- NAHS
  • Math- Mu Alpha Theta 
  • Drama- International Thespian 
  • Media- Quill & Scroll & STN (Student Television Network)
  • Dance- Dance Arts 
  • Music- Tri-Mu
  • English- NEHS
  • National Honors Society
  • French Honors Society 
  • Italian Honors Society 
  • Spanish Honors Society 
  • Social Studies- Rho Kappa 
  • Science National Honors Society 

The ceremony begins by describing what each society is about and lighting a candle. Once the explanations of each society are complete, an administrator starts to call the names of students and the societies they will be joining. They start with the seniors and continue on with the juniors, sophomores and lastly, freshmen.  Once everyone was called, students lit their candles and pledged to devote their time and devotion onward for their societies. 

“When I lit my candle, it made me realize how this is something greater than me, and it made me see how by joining a society, it gives me the responsibility to help others in my community and be part of something bigger,” said sophomore Olivia Ogus. 

The Honor Society Induction ceremony included lighting a candle to pledge that one is devoted to their societies. (From the Immaculata-La Salle High School Instagram page)

Once the ceremony is complete, students must continue to participate and be part of their societies. They will remain in their societies until graduation, unless they choose to leave or they do not meet the requirements.