Should ILS Switch To Computers?

Ga

A picture of a PC computer, here at ILS in the SLC

Gabriela Pinate, Writer

The iPad is the most popular computer given that its manufacturer, Apple has sold 44.2 million worldwide.

A computer allows more freedom in terms of programs opening files, and PDFs.

— Mr. Armando Alicandu

At ILS, students typically rely on iPads while teachers mostly use laptops as well as iPads.

Though they both offer similar functionality, there are things that are easier to do on one more than the other.

iPad vs Laptop

An iPad has a touch screen, and it’s easier to draw/write. Plus an iPad provides additional apps that you can’t find on traditional devices. iPads are also more portable, and convenient than laptops. But laptops are upgradable, whereas iPads are not.

iPads are Convenient

Let’s say your phone dies, and you want to watch a show, but you don’t want to take your big, bulky laptop. This is when an iPad, comes in handier as it is lighter as well as easily put away.

Computers are better for pc gaming and are better for programming.

— Diana Guevara

Source: https://mediapeanut.com/ipad-vs-laptop-pros-and-cons/

Computers/Laptops

Computers are bigger with some featuring more hardware, offering more power and a better performance. Computers are the best choice for working and editing. Computers also have a bigger space capacity then iPads, and they are excellent for people who need to multitask. Computers have a more powerful CPU(Central Processing Unit) more RAM (Random Access Memory), featuring sometimes a dedicated GPU(Graphics Processing Unit)

There are many types of computers, like Macs, which are like a home computer. Then there are PCs or MacBooks which are easier if you work on the go or travel often.

Source: https://www.lapseoftheshutter.com/ipad-vs-laptop/

ILS Teacher and Student Preferences

Music teacher Mr. Armando Alicandu prefers to use his laptop for work and his iPad for fun.

“Opening and annotating PDFs is easier on the iPad because of the touch screen function. but I fin grading, merging, or editing PDFs and files to be much easier on the computer,” he said.

For the iPad, you get a more interactive side, but with the computer, it’s more comfortable.

— Lauren Boj

Sophomore Diana Guevara also likes using computers.

“It’s easier to navigate social media platforms on the iPad as they are much easier to use when creating digital art,” she said.

On the other hand Diana explains that on computers it’s easier to complete downloads and use platforms like Google slides.

Sophomore Lauren Boj, uses both but depending on the task.

“I like using a computer for school more because it’s bigger, and it’s more comfortable for posture,” she said.

She also added that a computer is easier for writing essays and storing files, and the iPad is easier for writing or drawing.