Stanley Cup Madness Grips South Florida

Jadilah Fe

A usual site at ILS is the collection of water bottles left behind at the end of the day. Among the varieties, Yeti, and the growing in popularity, Stanley Cup.

Jadilah Fernandez, Executive Editor

Who would’ve thought that a $50 (and more) tumbler would have society in a chokehold. This notorious cup, seen all over TikTok, Instagram, YouTube and other platforms, is known as the Stanley Cup, the one to drink out of, and not the one associated with professionnal hockey.

TikTok definitely boosted the Stanley Cup’s popularity, but even mom bloggers, teachers, high school students, college students, and many others flooded their social media platforms with pictures of their massive cups, which resemble, at least symbolically, the prize for hockey’s best team.

FAST STANLEY CUP FACTS (Source: Dicks Sporting Goods):

This famous cup is excellent for health and wellness, as well as exercise. It is essentially constructed of 100% recycled stainless steel and offers extreme hydration without having to refill it so often throughout the day. Whether you want to workout, go to school, attend a meeting, or shop, this cup is crafted to be comfortable yet effective, which is why its insulation keeps water ice cold, even after hours.

CUP CONSTRUCTION

To begin, the FlowState lid offers a rotating cover with a straw opening, a drink opening as well as a full cover top to avoid any spills. The handle attached to the cup is perfect and includes comfort-grip inserts. It’s narrow base allows your Stanley cup to fit into any car cup holder.

IMPORTANT CONSIDERATIONS

• Your drinks are guaranteed to stay hot for seven hours
  • Drinks stay cold for 11 hours and iced for two days
  • Sustainable: created with 90% recycled stainless steel
  • Double coal vacuum insulation
  • Dishwasher safe
  • Includes a reusable straw
  • Compatible with most car cup holders

Available in 14, 20 and 40 ounce sizes, the Stanley Cup has generated considerable buzz. Still, the question remains: Is this tumbler worth $40?

Some ILS students find Stanley Cups to be an effective investment given their high quality. (junior Lucia Gonzalez)

“I haven’t gotten a Stanley cup because they’re expensive and I have my old water bottle that’s very good,” said sophomore Andrea Maduro.

What kind does Andrea favor?

“The brand is Hydrapeek. It’s very comfortable to hold and cheap, so I don’t feel the need to buy a new water bottle. Stanley cups are also too bulky and big to carry,” she added.

Junior Veronica Salazar agrees.

“I haven’t gotten a Stanley cup because I’m simply not drawn to them. I have so many water bottles at home that work perfectly fine so there’s no point in me getting a new one that’s much more expensive,” she said.

Informally assessing the perspectives of a handful of ILS students, six out of 10 said they prefer  6/10 of them said they preferred Yeti.

“I like the Yeti cup so much because it keeps my water colder for longer. I also love the color of it and I’ve had it for a while now,” said junior Megan Proaño.

Stanley Cup (to the left) and Yeti Cup (to the right) (Shutterandmintcom)

Despite these reasons, there are many who are desperate to get a Stanley Cup of their own. So much so, that these cups are often sold out. Some people re-sell them on websites including amazon for a much higher price. In fact, the Stanley 40 oz Adventure Quencher in the color Petal/Coral ombré is on sale at Amazon.com for $399.00.

The ombré coral/pink Stanley Cup sells on Amazon for over $300. (Amazon.com)

Some have mention how they love their cup so much because it makes them want to drink water out of it. They’re super popular because of their designs and color varieties (available in 10 hues and even limited edition colors). However, many refrain from buying one because of the price.

If you’re interested in buying a Stanley Cup of your own, here are some websites where you can find them:

1. Amazon.com
  2. Stanley1913.com
  3. Whole Foods market
  4. Dicks Sporting Goods
  5. Walmart