Why Summer Programs Are Worth It

The+North+End%2C+also+known+as+Little+Italy%2C+is+a+popular+tourist+destination+in+Boston%2C+Massachusetts+
Jadilah Fernandez
The North End, also known as Little Italy, is a popular tourist destination in Boston, Massachusetts

While some rising sophomores, juniors, and seniors struggle during the summer to enrich their learning but still make unforgettable memories, looking into summer programs might be the best idea.

Why summer programs?

When students choose to take part in special summer programs, they get to explore their interests, develop new skills, step out of their comfort zones, meet others from all around the world, try out college classes, and so much more. The benefits that these programs provide are endless and can help students in the long run. This is also a perfect way to enrich your college resume/essay, proving to colleges that you are committed to learning.

Do your research!

I found out about summer programs during my sophomore year after several of my family members participated in a few of them. I decided to research more and look at the schools that offered courses which correlated with what I want to major in for college, business/marketing.
You can find residential programs where you truly live the college experience, or you can be a commuter where you don’t have to stay in a dorm, and can go back home after class. Many schools are flexible with their schedules offering courses throughout the whole summer. Some have a longevity of two weeks, others five days, some even offer courses for the whole summer.

At the Notre Dame Summer Scholars application portal is just one of the many programs you can find– precollege.nd.edu.

Some of my favorite summer programs:

• Boston College Summer Experience
  • Notre Dame Summer Scholars
  • Indiana University Women’s Institute
  • Duke University Pre-College Programs
  • Cornell University Pre-College Programs
  • Brown Leading Pre-College Program
  • University of Miami Summer Scholars
  • Miami-Dade College Marketing Program

Expenses:

Some of these programs can be expensive, some are completely free, and others offer scholarships/financial aid.

These are some federally-funded programs (Information from Bigfuture.college board.org)

• Governor’s Schools: These summer programs are offered at around 15 to 20 states each year. You may have to submit teacher recommendations and an essay when you apply
  • Upward Bound: This college-preparatory program provides academic tutoring and mentoring to students who come from low-income families or will be the first in their family to go to college.

I participated in the Miami-Dade Digital Marketing Camp which was completely free and it was only for five days. I met many new people and furthered my marketing skills by creating my own jewelry brand and learning how to handle different platforms like Wix, Mailchimp, Canvas, etc.

Besides Miami Dade College, I attended the Boston College Experience in Chestnut Hill, Massachussetts. I applied to the Business Leadership Institute and lived the college student life for two weeks. At first, it was definitely intimidating to be all by myself in a suite with six other girls I didn’t know. However, we all got very close on the first day and we all still talk to this day. I learned a lot about business, I met a lot of professors, got to talk to important business figures, to the point where I didn’t want to leave. After class, we would explore the city of Boston, go shopping, go to baseball stadiums (Red Sox) and much more.

Application process:

The application process consisted of sending transcripts, test scores (optional), submitting essays, and writing a description about who you are. I was stressed at the beginning due to the documentation, but it was worth it. I applied to five programs and got into all five of them, eventually sticking to Boston College which was definitely a fulfilling experience.

Senior Jadilah Fernandez on her first night out during her Boston College Experience.

I interviewed my roommates and here’s what they had to say about their own college experiences:

“My favorite part of the Boston College Experience was forming close bonds with my roommates and making a lot of memories with them. I also loved all I got to experience and learn with the Sports Management class I took,” said senior Amanda Ciminello who hails from New York.

Senior Jadilah Fernandez with her six other roommates in the city of Boston, Massachussetts.

“I love that I was able to get really close with my roommates not only from my specific class but from other courses,” said junior Abby Donofrio who is originally from New Jersey.

“I loved being able to explore campus and our classes while making such great friends”

— Anna Howland

“I am extremely grateful that through BCE I got to experience BC life through taking classes and meeting new people that I became close with and making memories with them,” said junior Mia Mortellaro

Taking summer courses will not only help you enrich your knowledge on topics like medicine, business, sports management and even marketing, it will also push you to create meaningful friendships with people you might least expect to connect with.

$0
$500