The Student News Site of Immaculata-La Salle High School

Royal Courier

Royal Courier

Royal Courier

Transfer Sophomore Oliver Hernandez Joins Football Team

EriicW
Photos capture sophomore Oliver Hernandez playing against Miami Edison Senior High as part of the ILS football team.

Having played for only one year prior, transfer sophomore Oliver Hernandez vows to persevere and be the best he can at football here at Immaculata-LaSalle High School.

Originally homeschooled, Oliver joined Coral Gables Senior High for football.

“I liked watching it. I liked going to games. It made me want to like playing it. That’s why I wanted to join,” he said explaining how he made this decision.

Prior to football, Oliver had played flag football and had only watched a couple football games, never played. But at the beginning of his freshman year a Coral Gables Senior High that changed and he decided he wanted to try it out.

That’s pretty much what started my interest in football.

— Oliver Hernandez

After realizing how much he enjoyed football, but not wanting to continue at Coral Gables Senior High, he willingly chose to attend a different type of high school and picked ILS.

“I wanted to explore the opportunity given to me,” he said.

Oliver says that ILS gives him the opportunity to truly pursue football with a future in mind whereas he feels that at Gables, he would not be able to do so.

When asked if he had friends from Gables that he missed, he said not really.

“I knew no one at Gables. I made friends on the football team, and I brought those people with me when I transferred,” he explained.

Is he enjoying ILS so far?

“Yeah, I like it,” Oliver said explaining his excitement at the opportunity he’s been given and the friends he’s made since the move.

He likes his team and teammates and all the friends he’s made here so far.

“There are so many opportunities here,” he said.

ILS has given him the support he needs to thrive in a school setting while also allowing him to explore his love for football.

$0
$500