Girls Basketball drop two games in a row, but show fight versus North Broward Prep

The girls basketbalk team put up a strong game against north Broward prep

The+ILS+girls+basketball+team+showed+a+great+deal+of+fight+in+their+comeback+against+North+Broward+Prep.+

The ILS girls basketball team showed a great deal of fight in their comeback against North Broward Prep.

Ryan Desalle, Writer

The girls basketball team unfortunately lost back-to-back games, against Florida Christian 49-29 and North Broward Prep 44-41.

Junior Camilla Corvalan was ILS’s leading scorer against Florida Christian with nine points putting up a tough and outstanding game. Sophomore Cassie Martinez de Castro came in second with eight points on the floor.

Freshman Mary Scheuerle had 15 rebounds including eight offensive rebounds and junior Laura Hernandez carried out eight steals.

The team struggled the first quarter with putting up only three points while Florida Christian had 13 points on the board. During the second quarter, the Lady Royals stepped up and scored nine points while Florida’s Christian also put up 13 points again.

“Although the girls didn’t win I saw a tremendous amount of effort in this game, I know for a fact that they will make a come back this season,” said junior Cristobal Camejo.

Although the team took a second loss against North Broward Prep, it was a very close game with only a 3-point margin. The Lady Royals controlled the first quarter, 10-1, but faltered in the second quarter. ILS won the second-half 25-24 overall, and won the fourth quarter 14-11.

The second-half response from the team, considering the difficult second-quarter, was an important step forward.

Junior Ana Sol put up a strong game scoring 13 points. Freshman Tiffany David had three offensive rebounds and five defensive rebounds. Freshman Mary Scheuerle scored 10 points. Junior Camila Corvalan scored nine points, including the team’s only three-pointer.

The game was intense and everyone was on the edge of their seat. The hard work the girls have been putting in really showed against North Broward. The girls are ready to shine and prove to our community what they are made of.

The ILS Lady Royal Lions basketball team hosts Schoolhouse Prep for a non-conference matchup today at 5 PM in the Lion’s Den.