One Day More: Callbacks for Les Misérables and Cast List Revealed

Part 2 of 3
An image showcasing the Sondheim Theatre (previously the Queens Theatre) in London, where Les Misérables is currently playing.
Elliott Brown via CreativeCommons

Do you hear the people sing? / Lost in the valley of the night / It is the music of a people who are climbing to the light.

After a successful audition day, the second step in the process for Drama Club director Mrs. Lianne Rodriguez is to host callbacks. A callback is when the director likes what someone performed in their audition, and wants to see them again singing something that the director has chosen for them. The callbacks for the next drama production, Les Misérables, took place December 18th, 2023. Auditionees were eager to get the last step of the audition process out of the way.

“Callbacks were so exciting for me! I was so happy that I got two callbacks (for Gavroche and ensemble) and I was determined to try my best. I put all my energy into my callback, and it really paid off In the end. I was much more confident and able to let loose and just have fun!” said freshman Madison Press.

“I honestly felt really chill about it. I usually get super nervous, but I didn’t feel that way this time… mostly because I love Les Mis so much so I really didn’t mind where I ended up cast-wise, so I just had fun with it,” said senior Danna Chalela. This is her last time auditioning for an ILS production.

“Callbacks were exciting! Getting to see all the potential cast members and listening to some of the music for the first time was fun. But honestly, it was the fun of it that got me the most hyped up. I just used all my energy and gave it my best shot,” said sophomore Skyler Granado.

After callbacks were completed, the only thing left was for Mrs. Rodriguez to release the cast list. The cast list usually takes a few days to complete, so students eagerly and nervously waited. The waiting ended Friday, December 22nd, 2023 when students received the email they were anticipating. It was the cast list.

”We poured over the cast list for about an hour after callbacks occurred. Other than the leads, we had to make decisions about the ensemble, ensuring that all voice parts were present. Releasing the list is always a bit nerve-racking (for EVERYONE involved). But once it’s out, it’s awesome to see everyone get excited about the show!” said Mrs. Rodriguez.

Now that the audition process is wrapped up and the entire show is cast, rehearsals last until May 8th, when the show finally opens to audiences for a four-day run.

The next article in this series will cover the beginning of the rehearsal process, so please once again stay tuned.

$0
$500