Art Walk 2024 was Vibrant

History and Origin
Students showcase their work and have fun at the annual Art Walk.
Isabella Alzati

“It all started with an idea,” said Ms. Camille Wildenburg.

Ms. Wildenburg is not only the Fashion Club and National Art Honor Society Moderator, she also heads the Fine Arts Department at ILS.

This is her 7th year hosting Art Walk, excluding 2020, the COVID year. She explained her inspiration behind the whole idea of art walk and how she wanted to recreate the vintage art walk found in Wynwood. Ever since it started, it’s always been an amazing turn out with students given the opportunity to showcase their creativity through original work.

Junior Gracie Blanco displayed her Soap and Clay creations at Art Walk. (Isabella Alzati)

“Every year it gets better and better because the younger kids see the vendors and the art work and it gets them motivated to do the vending, create art, and join fine arts programs,” she said.

Ms. Wildenburgs’s art class featured many self portraits. (Isabella Alzati)

Along with hosting Art Walk, Ms. Wildenburg also incorporates her art classes to showcase student paintings. This year the driving theme was self portraits. She chose this direction because it glorifies students.

“You guys don’t give yourselves enough credit; you are the school; it’s nice to walk in and see you all,” added.

She chose this project to also exhibit how students see themselves, because high schoolers can be hard on themselves. When students see this painting 20 years from now, she hopes they experience a happy memory of something they did that made them proud. She also explained how with this painting students will experience 20 different versions of themselves, all of which are to be loved and embraced. 

“Art gives you the space, freedom, and creativity to express yourself along with being a safe space to escape stressers,” she added.

Ms. Wildenburg’s goal for her students is reminding them as well how art is also a meditative and prayerful way of expressing. Through this medium, she seeks to make her classroom a timeless place where time truly stops, and art never does.

$0
$500