ILS Boys Basketball defeats Key West, 65-59

Senior Jonny Oliva helped the ILS boys varsity basketball team defeat Key West this week.

Anthony Yero, Editor

On Wednesday, the ILS Boys Basketball Team hosted Key West in the Lions Den and picked up their second win in a row with the 65-59 victory.

Coming off a close win to Terra, it was the second night of a back to back. Back-to-back games tend to take a toll on athletes, especially student-athletes, but not for the Royal Lions.

Right off the bat the game started off with very high energy. Both teams exchanged baskets in transition at a fast pace.

Sophomore Guard Brett Gurka showed out for a season high, 21 points, knocking down 2 threes in addition to a couple of contested finishes.

However, the leader of the pack was once again Junior Emilio Ramirez, who scored a game high 23 points. Ramirez carried the Royals, shooting at a high percentage, including from the line compared to the previous game, going 12/16 from the free throw line.

It was a back and forth game until the 4th quarter, where the Royals finally pulled away for the victory against a solid Key West team, 65-59.

On Friday, the ILS Boys Basketball team hosts #4 ranked Riviera Prep (4-0). This will be ILS’s second true test of the season, where a win like this could pave LaSalle’s way as they look to be one of the top teams in Miami.

Make sure to come out at 7:30 to support your Royal Lions!