ILS Boys Basketball defeats Key West, 65-59

Senior Jonny Oliva helped the ILS boys varsity basketball team defeat Key West this week.

Anthony Yero, Co-Editor-in-Chief

On Wednesday, the ILS Boys Basketball Team hosted Key West in the Lions Den and picked up their second win in a row with the 65-59 victory.

Coming off a close win to Terra, it was the second night of a back to back. Back-to-back games tend to take a toll on athletes, especially student-athletes, but not for the Royal Lions.

Right off the bat the game started off with very high energy. Both teams exchanged baskets in transition at a fast pace.

Sophomore Guard Brett Gurka showed out for a season high, 21 points, knocking down 2 threes in addition to a couple of contested finishes.

However, the leader of the pack was once again Junior Emilio Ramirez, who scored a game high 23 points. Ramirez carried the Royals, shooting at a high percentage, including from the line compared to the previous game, going 12/16 from the free throw line.

It was a back and forth game until the 4th quarter, where the Royals finally pulled away for the victory against a solid Key West team, 65-59.

On Friday, the ILS Boys Basketball team hosts #4 ranked Riviera Prep (4-0). This will be ILS’s second true test of the season, where a win like this could pave LaSalle’s way as they look to be one of the top teams in Miami.

Make sure to come out at 7:30 to support your Royal Lions!