Categories:

15-Year-Old Dancer Killed in Boating Hit-and-Run

Community Mourns Ella Riley Adler, Beloved Student and Dancer at Ransom Everglades School and Miami City Ballet
The expansive and endless ocean, much like everyone, grieves the tragic death of the gifted teenager.
Catalina Infante

A Coral Gables man has been found to be the person navigating the boat which killed Ella Riley Adler, a 15-year-old girl who once had a bright future ahead of her.

In a statement released by his attorney, the man, 78-year-old Carlos Guillermo Alonso, expressed his shock, sadness and condolences, explaining that he had no idea he his boat had struck anyone on that day.

Ella was a dancer who performed regularly with the Miami City Ballet, including appearing in George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker. She excelled in her studies and was an active member of the Ransom Everglades School dance group, the Jewish Student Association, and the speech and debate team. She was identified as the teenager who died after being hit by a boat while water skiing in Biscayne Bay in the Key Biscayne region on Saturday afternoon. After the tragic incident, the community where Adler lived, including her school and the ballet company she danced for, responded overwhelmingly. Ransom Everglades School Principal Rachel Rodriguez sent a statement to NBC6 on Monday in response to Adler’s sudden death.

Her peers have also come forward, recalling the teenager as not only a gifted artist but also a loved young individual. Adler was seen by her classmates as a well-liked and generous individual.

“My boyfriend goes to that school and even though he is a senior he has seen the impact the accident has caused throughout the halls,” said senior Luciana Hoyos.

According to authorities, The boat that hit her was light blue and had three or four white engines. It was last seen heading west from Nixon Beach in Key Biscayne on Saturday afternoon. Some theories suggest that the owners of the boat that hit her sank the boat to avoid being traced. Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) officials confirmed to NBC6 on Sunday that the teen was not water skiing when she was hit.

$45
$500