Categories:

Oceangate Sub Back in the News

The eye-catching logo of the submarine company OceanGate features a design similar to a wave.
Thomas Sluijters

The Oceangate submarine that disappeared a little less then two years ago when visiting the Titanic Wreckage has been found. Tragically, though everyone on board died, only a piece was recovered. The victims included Stockton Rush–the company’s Chief Executive, Shahzada Dawood–a British-Pakistani businessman and his son, Suleman Dawood, Hamish Harding–a British businessman, and Paul-Henry Nargeolet, a former French Navy Diver.

The incident could have been avoided if they adhered to the warnings about  the sub being defective from former employee David Lochridge. Lochridge tried to tell Rush but Rush brushed him off and did not listen to him saying it’s not ready.   Lochridge filed multiple safety complaints with the Occupational Safety and Health Administration about the sub which resulted in him being fired from the company. The organization promptly ignored it and did not look into it. Lochridge tried to take it into his own hands and sued the company in which they promptly counter sued which got him no where.

After the implosion Lochridge testified in a wrongful death lawsuit against Oceangate. Lochridge claimed when asked about his confidence when the sub was being built.

Lochridge also claimed that Rush built things cheap and focused more on the profit and trying to rush how early they can go dive in the ocean to visit the Titanic Wreckadge. Lochridge viewed the sub as a ticking time bomb waiting to explode. As of now, the company is no longer in business and stopped all further operations.

“I was honestly shocked when I first overheard it when my dad was watching the news,” said sophomore Raul Alvarez.

“Yeah, when I first heard about it, I thought it was stupid that they wanted to go down there,” said sophomore Jordon Diaz.

$70
$500