Categories:

Award-Winning ILS Alum Advocates on Behalf of SALTT

Documentarian Victoria Alonso Noujaim’s Film Premieres at the Kravis Center

What began as a five-minute film on the SALTT Club at ILS, transformed into a 45-minute documentary on the positive impact SALTT has had on the Guatemalan community in Lake Worth, Florida, featuring alongside the struggles the community has navigated.

ILS alumna from the class of 2021, Victoria Alonso Noujaim, began this film to bolster her college resume. While filming she realized the film needed a deeper meaning. This shift in motivation led to the expansion of her work and truly took her by surprise.

“This was shocking seeing how big this came to be. But it’s amazing because it is exactly what we hoped the outcome would be, for their stories to be heard and to make a change. At the end, seeing other organizations standing up and offering help to the community as well is exactly what we wanted to impact,” said Noujaim.

As a Venezuelan-American immigrant herself, she recognized similarities to her own story, while also acknowledging the stark differences.

On Saturday, October 21, 6:00 pm EST at the Kravis Center in West Palm Beach, Noujaim’s film, The Miami Kids and the Maya, premiered before 170 audience members. Guatemalan immigrants, SALTT club members, and others from the community filled the auditorium. There they were also able to meet with agents of change for the Mayan community, such as Father Frank O’Loughlin.

The night began with a reception, allowing the audience members to congregate in Persson Hall to discuss various perspectives on the club’s extensive work with the Guatemalan community. Afterwards, guests entered the theater and sat for the film.

The film primarily showcased the upheaval which resulted from the Guatemalan genocide during the Guatemalan Civil War, where the military government massacred Mayan indigenous people. It demonstrated their reasoning for their journey to America and then the economic obstacles they then had to endure as mistreated farm workers. The film included interviews with Mr. Timothy Gamwell– English Department Chair, Ms. Maria De La Guardia–Service Learning Chair, Father Frank O’Loughlin, Mari Blanco, and various other ILS SALTT members and alumni. When the film ended, a Q & A opened to the audience, allowing guests to ask Father Frank, Ms. De La Guardia, Ms. Blanco, Ms. Noujaim, and her father, questions about the film and its message.

Audience members began expressing their relationships with the Miami kids, detailing the extent and impact the SALTT Club has had on their community, deepening the film’s central theme.

“The Miami kids were like the older brothers and sisters we never had, especially since some of us were first generation. I don’t know where I would be if I hadn’t gone to Escuelita Maya. I still keep in touch with the people from Miami and I feel like I have a wave of support from them always,” said Petrona Mayan, the first-ever SALTT camp attendee.

The audience was moved by Victoria Noujaim’s cinematography, so much so that certain individuals sought to share their own stories.

,” shared a Mayan woman from the audience.

Inspired by the conversation of justice and restoring the Guatemalan culture, Ms. De La Guardia discussed her beliefs on advocacy and policy change through connecting students with the Mayan children.

“Kids are hungry for meaning. Welcome every single kid into the club. They will come to see that SALTT isn’t just about charity, but justice. It has to be about justice. Entire political campaigns are centered around immigration. We have to fight at the political level,” she shared.

Current SALTT board executive members attended the premiere and managed a donation stand enabling audience members to “adopt” a child for $20 dollars a month for a year or $240 upfront to support 1 out of 50 Mayan children from the Escuelita Maya and Highland Elementary in their academic endeavors and field trips. The project was orchestrated by Vice President of Field Trips, Mana Ortega-Ruiz, and is formally called the Padrino Program. The executive board members achieved high success and were able to receive donations for every child.

Initially after watching the documentary they themselves were motivated by the film, reminding them of the importance and value of their work.

“I was reinspired to do more work with the Guatemalan migrant community. Everyday I am constantly inspired by them to do more, to pursue better goals, to come back and help the club,” said Justin Pastor, SALTT Vice President of Development.

The film aided his goals for his future self and how he can take his current position in the club to help him progress. He envisions himself continuing to pursue his work after high school and become an activist in the community for the underrepresented population.

“I will 100 percent continue advocating for this community. I started work with immigration lawyers at Beltran Brito and Casa Mayor. I did an externship with them and our President Gina Weinstein, and I have done work with getting more people registered to vote (through his Eagle Scout Project). The more representative people we have registered to vote in elections, the greater the chances are that we get ideas, opinions, and policies that really enact what the community wants and expand voting rights to all communities. I plan to continue advocating through policy change, awareness, and exposure in the future,” he shared.

Additionally, as current club members viewed the film, they believed their work was portrayed accurately, presenting their club in all aspects. They believe the film is going to bolster change in authorities on certain policies to aid the children and community.

“I looked around while watching the documentary and saw everyone look super touched by it, especially those capable of enacting change. So I really hope this documentary affects them as it affected me and we see a difference in the community,” shared Javier Escobar Director of Field Trips.

Victoria Alonso Noujaim had a certain agenda when filming, aiming that all viewers were able to see the efforts SALTT has put forth to aid the Maya and the relationship that has been built between both communities.

“The takeaway I want people to have is that if SALTT does this with one community, and it is so impactful to so many of us, what happens if we do it with other schools? What if other schools connected with other communities? What would the change be?” she said.

As Victoria Noujaim continues her studies in the subject of film, she keeps an open mind to everything film has to offer her, although she still has a desire to pursue more documentaries.

“I definitely want to continue making documentaries. I think that connecting with real stories and real people, hopefully making a change, is my vocation. Hopefully, one day I can make a documentary about Venezuela,” she said.

$70
$500