Biden reopening prison for migrant children in Homestead

The Homestead Temporary Shelter for Unaccompanied Children can now hold 3,200 kids. Illustration by Scott Anderson (Miami New Times)

Marjorie Amaral, Editor

Almost two years after immigration advocates were able to shut down the detention camp for migrant children in Homestead, the Biden administration announces it’s planning on reopening the facility.

The shelter became the subject of national news in the past because of reports of negligent hiring practices, overcrowding, sexual abuse, and human rights violations.

Senior Samuel Rodriguez thinks is against the children’s human rights to be put into detention camps and being separated from their families.

“I think Biden is not making the right decision by reopening the camp because separating migrant children from their families is against their human rights,” said Rodriguez.

“What I would differently is completely abolish the system that separates kids from their families,” he added.

The problems at this Homestead detention were so bad some children described crying themselves to sleep at night worrying they would never leave.

The center now known as the Biscayne Influx Care Facility is preparing to house migrant teens ages 13 to 17.

Senior Andrea Vasquez believes Biden is going against his own word by reopening the facility.

“I believe that Biden is acting against his own word i believe he is making the wrong decision because these camps are very horrible places for children, with a high number of rape and abuse cases,” she said.

Senior Arianne Cendon and other ILS students used to working with migrant children through SALTT club.

“I don’t agree with this decision because I am a strong advocate for migrant rights. I work closely with migrant families through Saltt and believe everyone should be treated equally and granted the same opportunities,” said Cendon.

Hopefully, the Biden administration stops reopening these inhumane camps for migrant children and starts helping them instead as they said they would.