ILS Tennis Girls Doubles Team Advances to States

Ryan Desalle, Writer

Last Thursday and Friday, the ILS Tennis team had an incredible battle at the District Tournament at Tropical Park and the Royal Lions represented well. Overall, the girls team came home as runners up at Districts, but Sophomore Isabella Rojas won her draw and advanced straight to States. Rojas and her doubles partner, junior Mariana Naranjo, also advanced to States by winning their draw.

In addition to those successes, the girls team advanced to the Regional tournament, while boys doubles pairing made the finals of their draw. This is a positive step forward for the tennis program at ILS, especially after seeing last season’s district tournament cancelled due to COVID-19.

The boys team showed their improvement as well, exceeding their expectations and providing a competitive challenge in the finals of the doubles draw.

The girls, meanwhile, build on their success throughout the season and put themselves in a solid starting position in individual and doubles draws. Rojas held the 1-seed in singles, and Rojas and Naranjo were the 1-seed in doubles. Their performances at this tournament earned them an automatic spot in the State tournament.

“Amazing accomplishment for the two young ladies,” said ILS AD Nick Fernandez. “The team still has a chance to make history as they head to the Regional Semi-final. If they win the Semi-final and Final regional matches they have a chance to head to state as a team. Good luck this week ladies!”

With Districts finishing off a fierce season, both boys and girls accomplished and grew a lot through out the season.

“There are a couple of things that I want the girls mainly to improve on,” said ILS Tennis tea coach, Mr. James Rydborn. “Couple of tactical aspects that I hope will propel them through regionals and into states. They truly deserve it. Their attitudes on the court received much credit from other teams and had the majority of the other school rooting for us in the finals.”

With nothing but a hardworking and great mind set, the ILS tennis team will be prepared fully with the coaching of Coach Rydborn for next season. The ILS girls tennis team will play in the Regional tournament on Tuesday the 20th of April.