Ash Wednesday, What is it and What Does it Mean?

Senior Isabella Rodriguez receiving the ash cross on Ash Wednesday.

Melanie Scheel Sikaffy, Feature Editor

Ash Wednesday. It’s an important day indeed since it marks the beginning of Lent; a period of time were Christians and Catholics try to replicate Jesus Christ’s sacrifice and withdrawal into the desert for 40 days. It is a season of reflection and preparedness for the upcoming 40 days before Easter to remember the events that led up to Jesus’ crucifixion. It all starts with Ash Wednesday where the ash is made from burning palm crosses from previous Palm Sundays and is used to mark on the forehead of churchgoers to remind them that they should change themselves for the better because just as God breathed life into dust, it can go away for everyone just like it did for Jesus Christ hence the phrase they always say in Ash Wednesday Mass: “Remember you are dust, and to dust, you shall return.”

Ash Wednesday at Immaculata La Salle.

In ILS, we celebrate it with the respect it deserves. The priest and the Mass decorations had tints of purple which is a prominent symbol of Lent mainly because of two reasons: firstly because it’s associated with the anticipating mourning of Jesus Christ’s crucifixion, and secondly, because purple is associated with royalty and it celebrates Christ’s sovereignty. 

The ILS choir and band giving it their all during the Ash Wednesday Mass.

We commenced the Mass and had a wonderful choir to sing sweet harmonies throughout the event, especially Augustina Corretti’s amazing vocals echoing through the gym in her solo. But the Mass couldn’t have possibly been done without mentioning the dire situation that is going on with Russia and Ukraine.

This was a different type of Lent with what is going on in the world; not only has Christ’s sacrifice humbled us and made us reflect but so have the ongoing attacks from Russia onto Ukraine. Students, teachers, and faculty all prayed for peace, a virtue that has and will always be needed around the world. Although for Lent one can give up candy or start working out, a great one would be to donate and help Ukrainians who are in dire need of materials. So do not forget that ILS is receiving those donations and I hope you grow or improve your life with the following 40 days; it will be a challenge but it is one worth doing. May you all have a blessed and reflective Lent!

(left to right) Seniors Mariana Castro-Angel, Cecilia Harding, Andrea Pantin, and Brianna Ramos participating in the prayer of peace for Russia and Ukraine.