War and Peace: Ukraine in ILS

Ukraine protest for peace.

Antonella Velasquez, Editor-in-Chief

On the news, on the TV, and in the newspaper, Ukraine is in every headline, but nothing is more powerful than a first-person point of view.

In the halls of ILS, walks freshman Ivan Cienki, a Ukrainian at heart. 

“Both of my parents are from Ukraine, and I have spent every summer of my life in a city called Lviv, located in western Ukraine. I’ve been to many different cities all across Ukraine and it’s a really beautiful place with really amazing people and I pray I get to go back soon,” he said.

Like many others, a childhood home or family country means a lot. It’s part of someone’s life and culture, so watching it go to war can cause stress or sadness. 

“It’s a really scary thing that’s going on. My mom has received calls from friends and family letting her know how they are doing. Some of them she hasn’t even spoken to in years but they just want to talk to someone, or say goodbye if it’s the last time they get to do so,” he said.

Hearing from family, never knowing when will be the last time speaking to them, is heartbreaking. The borders are all in danger and maternity wards, hospitals, classrooms, and more have been attacked. Ukrainians wake up everyday praying that they live another day. People are on the streets with no homes, no supplies, barely any clothes, with missing or dead family members and everyday Russian soldiers commit more and more atrocities in Ukraine.

Marching for peace protests all around the world.

People all over the world post, protest, and donate to help Ukraine, but this has not stopped Russian leader Vladimir Putin from bombing and destroying the land of Ukraine. The gas prices going up is becoming more noticeable by the day and the gas crisis memes are unstoppable. Russia is a large provider of fuel causing that with a war going on, it affects the entire world. When gas prices go up, all other exported goods cost more, causing the economies all over the world to feel the squeeze.

While people complain about prices and claim, “This is not my war.” Or “There’s nothing  I can do,” peoples’ lives are in danger. As part of a community that includes Ukrainians, donating and spreading awareness goes a long way.

There is so much to learn if curiosity peaks.

“Something I’d like people who aren’t from Ukraine or don’t know much about Ukraine to learn would be:

1) It’s just Ukraine not “the Ukraine” saying “the” refers to “the Ukrainian Socialist Soviet Republic” during the Soviet Union. However, Ukraine is it’s own country and has been since 1991. Saying “Ukraine” emphasizes that it is a country, in the same way you don’t call Germany or France “the Germany” or “the France”.

2) The Capital of Ukraine is called Kyiv not Kiev. Kiev is the Russian spelling. I recommend reading https://war.ukraine.ua/ for important information about the Russian Invasion of Ukraine.

3) This isn’t just something new,” he pointed out.

The issue in Ukraine has been an ongoing thing for a very long time, “In 2014, the president of Ukraine essentially turned on his people and instead of making a move towards joining the European Union in the best interests of Ukraine, he said he would be working on creating an alliance with Russia. When hundreds of people went out to peacefully protest against this, the pro Russian president had police shoot and beat people to death. More than 100 people were killed.” Said Cienki.

Map of Russian possession

The president  ended up fleeing the country and hiding out in Russia ever since. Russia later invaded parts of Ukraine called Donetsk and annexed Crimea saying the people there needed saving despite the fact those people identified as Ukrainians and wanted to be part of Ukraine and needed no saving. The has was pretty much stayed contained to those regions until February 24th this year. 

Ukraine is a country known for its beautiful and diverse landscapes,  well-preserved culture, unique tradition, and now, Tragedy. It is Home to beautiful landmarks and historic religious sites.  Time keeps going and humans keep evolving so when will the violence end? To what ends will the destruction go? Is there truly a victory other than peace?

“One thing I’d like to ask is to continue praying for Ukraine and its people who are being killed and being forced to move out of their homes every day. As well, as if possible to donate to causes that could help support either people fleeing their homes or the Ukrainian Military which has bravely held off Russian invaders for almost two weeks, whereas many governments said Ukraine would fall in a couple of days,” said Ivan.