How Mad is the Multiverse: Doctor Strange 2 Review

Marvel

Doctor Strange MoM was released on May 5 to theaters and has made $451.8 million in box office profits.

Allison Perez, Writer

WARNING: MAJOR SPOILERS FOR DOCTOR STRANGE: MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS!

Doctor Strange: Multiverse of Madness hit the theaters this weekend and fans are, to say the least, surprised.

The question is is it a good surprise or a bad one? To find out, let’s take a look into what happened during the movie. 

The film starts off with a stressful scene that shows Doctor Strange and a new superhero named America Chavez running from a terrifying monster in space. The monster wants to steal America’s power, because she has the ability to travel through universes, something no one else has been able to achieve. The atmosphere automatically feels off and it’s soon revealed that it was Strange’s “dream” all along. 

The movie continues to get more intense as the minutes pass, but I wouldn’t say that it’s a good thing. The speed at which the film moved was a bit too quick, and it felt as though they were trying to fit too many things in a very small amount of time. 

Now, let’s talk about The Scarlet Witch, Wanda. 

Wanda has been a favorite among crowds for a while. Her first appearance in Avengers: Age of Ultron gathered many fans and the release of Wandavision resulted in a worldwide love for her character.

But in the new Doctor Strange movie, she decides to go a bit crazy and becomes the main villain of the film. The pain that came from the loss of her children created in her a need for a solution, no matter the cost. Her solution ends up being a plan to travel across the multiverse so that she could be in the universe where her kids existed alive and well. The downside to this plan is that it requires a whole lot of evil acts and a little bit of violence. 

So, this sudden turn of events surprised many fans and their shock got even more severe during the trial scene. 

This certain scene happened to include Reed Richards, a member of the Fantastic Four; Captain Carter, an alternate version of Peggy Carter where she becomes Captain America; Maria Rambeau as Captain Marvel; and Professor X, the founder of the X-Men.

If you’re a Marvel fan and know at least a little bit about the characters, then this scene is most likely the most exciting thing that you’ve ever seen. It combines not only the Fantastic Four and X-Men universes, but includes the characters from the What If? series. 

But if you kept on watching for just a couple more minutes, then chances are that you got your heart broken very quickly. 

What had happened was that all of these amazing and powerful characters were killed by Wanda very easily. It was gut wrenching to see these incredibly strong characters get destroyed in the blink of an eye. 

Once you get past that traumatizing scene, the movie continues on with several conflicts and difficult battles that are eventually won and lost. 

In the very end, we see that Doctor Strange has used the Darkhold, and it doesn’t seem like anything is wrong with him. So imagine the utter surprise that audiences felt when a third eye pops up in the middle of his forehead, hinting at the evil control that the magic is beginning to have on him. While people are still processing that, the screen goes black and the credits begin to roll.

Overall, the movie is an entertaining watch that will definitely have you hooked for the whole two hours. Some of the parts may be a little rushed, and there are some bad CGI moments, but it is definitely worth the watch if you’re at least a little into Marvel movies and wanting to see some of your favorites again, if only for a moment.