Dear Freshman…

Dear+Freshman%E2%80%A6

Holland Ramos, Editor-in-Chief

One of the biggest transitions during adolescence is going from middle to high school. Learning to navigate and adapt to a whole new world is not easy and definitely  is not a linear process. The best thing about it all is YOU WILL MAKE IT OUT JUST FINE!

Looking back on my four years, and what I have accomplished, and what I have failed to accomplish…here are some tips from a high school survivor.

1. Time Management 

Time management is a no brainer to many people, but when all is said and done, learning how to correctly manage your time and priorities is harder than it sounds. High school is distraction central and a slippery slope when it comes to figuring out what you want to spend your time doing. Managing time will help you keep stress levels to a minimum as you navigate the world of 90- minute classes. Make sure that you are not getting distracted in class and getting your work done so you have less work to do at home. Also, do not procrastinate. Start something the day that it is assigned and then plan how you complete your assignments instead of staying up till 3 am trying to cram everything in. Writing everything down on a to-do list or planner will help you stay on top of all assignments and deadlines.

2. Work Hard/Play Hard

As crucial as it is to try and do well in your classes, balance is key! High school is not going to be enjoyable if you work yourself too hard weather that be in sports or academics. Finding time for a social life is equally important while making the most out of your four years.  Finding positive people to surround yourself with will help you grow throughout high school. Having a support system around will make it easier to manage stress and affect you positively. Friends might come and go, and that is okay, so talk to as many people as you can to find the friends that you click with. 

3. Find Yourself

Finding yourself and getting to know yourself is something that you will struggle with throughout your life. In all points of life, you must make the conscious decision to stay true to yourself and your morals and beliefs. At the end of the day, nobody will know you like you know you. The temptation to fake interests, downplay your personality, or make choices you wouldn’t usually make in order to please people is real.  Everyone wants to be liked and accepted, but the most fulfilling acceptance you can receive is liking who you are and who you have become. In four years you and your classmates will be going your separate ways and if you spent this time trying to be someone you weren’t in order to impress them, you will be lost.

Freshman year is one of the most exciting years during adolescence. You have so much opportunity and so much to accomplish. You get to explore a whole new world and a new part of your life is just getting started . Millions of students around the world go through this transition every year, so know you are not alone. These four years are short… very short. So, don’t take them for granted. High school flashes right before your eyes and the next thing you know, you will be reflecting back on your four years and may or may not be wishing you could do it all over again. Four years may seem like a lot, but they will be gone before you can even blink. Get involved, make new friends, go to dances, go to football games, find your group, and just have fun. High school will not always be easy, but enjoy this part of your life. You will never have another experience like this one.