My Mind & Me: Selena Gomez and Her Struggles

The film appears on Apple TV where it debuted this month.

Jadilah Fernandez, Executive Editor

From starring in TV shows to doing world tours, Selena Gomez beautifully shined a light on her struggles with mental health and fame in her newest documentary, My Mind & Me.

Available on Apple TV with a two-month free trial, Selena Gomez released this documentary with the goal of alleviating the stigma surrounding mental obstacles and even health problems. This film is sincere, from the heart, and touching to all audiences. Nowadays, fame is so normalized and no one really talks about the struggles that can come with being a public figure.

This documentary shed light on another aspect of Selena’s life I have never seen before. It was very touching.

— Victoria Harding

Juniors Veronica Salazar and Victoria Harding enjoyed the  documentary My Mind & Me.

I found the documentary very authentic and I loved how in depth it was based on her life.

— Veronica Salazar

Many people saw this as a 95-minute therapy session with Selena Gomez because of how sincere she was throughout. My Mind & Me opens up with Selena saying, “I have to stop living like this.” She proceeds to go backstage and just burst into tears, feeling like she’s not good enough for anyone, including her fans and she expressed how she has a constant fear of becoming a disappointment.

Selena Gomez spends a week in Kenya. Here she is next to the girls from the institute she was visiting.

However, what’s so beautiful about this documentary is the way Selena Gomez tries to heal from all her problems by going back to her childhood. She visited her old school, gave endless advice to all the students that are sitting in chairs she once sat in, and visited her neighbors. She updated them about her life, caught up, it was all a very emotional rollercoaster for her. She got to relive her childhood just for a moment. Remembering all the dolls she would play with at her neighbor’s house, the way she would run around her house with her cousin, the cookies she would eat at her neighbor’s house, and the list goes on.

She went into detail about how she feels like she wastes her time on “pointless” interviews, where she finds herself answering what her favorite color is and overall superficial questions. She mentions how she feels like “a product”.

Selena Gomez in front of her childhood home located in Grand Prairie.

Gomez had a breaking point in her career where she knew she had to pause everything she was doing and just dedicate full time for herself. Her mom was her biggest supporter and she cherishes that relationship so much. One of her biggest obstacles was dealing with bipolar disorder. This essentially makes her act certain ways that she later regrets and she makes it clear how it’s certainly not easy to deal with.

It is also known how Selena Gomez had the worst possible heartbreak put out to the public after her separation with singer Justin Bieber.

“Just forgetting everything at the drop of a hat;, it was really confusing. But I think that really needed to happen. And ultimately, it was the best thing that ever happened to me.”

She was embracing how her heartbreak turned her into a completely different person, despite the fact that it was displayed to the public with no privacy.

Gomez found herself trying to make the world a better place regardless of her struggle with Lupus as well as depression, anxiety, and bipolar disorder. She visited Kenya to help around the schools, understand the culture, and see what women have to face over there, in a completely different environment and continent. This trip ultimately saved her; it was escapism for her. All the endless conversations she had with people gave her perspective through making connections with these individuals and adding meaning to her life. She was looking for human connection and was looking to implement mental health courses in places that truly don’t normalize these struggles.