What Exactly is Catholic Schools Week?

Tuba+player+and+sophomore+Etienne+at+the+of+the+first+day+of+Catholic+Schools+Week%2C+when+ILS+celebrated+Don+Bosco+Day.+The+tuba+is+so+big%2C+it+is+hard+to+see+him.+

Ms.

Tuba player and sophomore Etienne at the of the first day of Catholic School’s Week, when ILS celebrated Don Bosco Day. The tuba is so big, it is hard to see him.

Alexandra Perez, Opinion Editor

This past Monday, January 30, we began the kickoff of our week’s dress down. Many students participated in the dress down and went full out. What exactly was the purpose of this week’s dress down? I’m sure many are wondering the answer to this question. Well, this week was Catholic Schools Week.

“Since 1974, National Catholic Schools Week is the annual celebration of Catholic education in the United States.” (www.dosafl.com).

Catholic Schools Week is widely celebrated by Catholic schools all around the United States. It embraces and celebrates Catholic education and recognizes the privilege and access to phenomenal and high-end education that these students, like ourselves, have been blessed to receive.

As a national celebration of Catholic education, Catholic Schools Week is an opportunity to recognize the importance, the value, and the contributions of Catholic education to the Church and the world. “Catholic Schools Week is sponsored by the National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA).” (www.sadlier.com).

This week is celebrated with a week long dress down along with activities that emphasize the importance of Catholic education. The NCEA provides a list of themes for the week. Each Catholic school is free to interpret each as they wish. The themes provided this year were as follows:

Monday: Celebrating Your Community
Tuesday: Celebrating Your Students
Wednesday: Celebrating the Nation
Thursday: Celebrating Vocations
Friday: Celebrating Faculty, Staff, and Volunteers

On Monday, we celebrated our community with 305 day. Students dressed in Miami-themed outfits and embraced our community.

On Tuesday, we celebrated our students with fun activities throughout Don Bosco. While celebrating Don Bosco and honoring him at Mass, students were also able to have an enjoyable and fun time with actives, such as bracelet making and bounce houses.

On Wednesday, we celebrated our nation with USA day. We dressed in USA colors and represented our nation.

On Thursday, we celebrated our vocations by dressing up as what we would like do be for our future career.

Lastly, on Friday we celebrated our faculty and staff by dressing up in casual attire, due to losing the privilege to dress up as our favorite teacher.

Overall, this was a fun-filled week that gave all those who work hard to make our school as amazing as it is.