The Underline Project Revitalizes Metrorail Stations

Alina Figueroa

The Underline Project has become a huge undertaking here in Miami. It is a project that is already making a difference in the lives of countless residents.

Alina Figueroa, Writer

The Underline Project is a project that is in the process of being built, here in Miami, Fl. It is a project whose goal is to transform the land below the Metrorail into a 10-mile park, urban trail, and public art destination.

There are three phases to this project, but as of right now only Phase 1 is open to the public.

The goal and purpose of this project is to build a safe multi-modal transportation, incorporating nature and building community. The priority is to improve the safety of pedestrians, which means improving crosswalks, and maintaining as well as restoring natural areas.

During the process of the creation of the project, the Underline included trees and plants which serve to restore the Pine Rockland, Hardwood Hammock, Pollinator and Wet Prairie ecosystems. The trees or plants that were in the place where these new locations will be located were moved and remain protected by orange fencing. They plan to include more than 100,000 native plants and trees to attract butterflies, bees and birds.Throughout the 10-mile project there will be dog-friendly doggie dispensers, trash and recycling bins, free WI-FI, bike racks and repair stations, tables, benches and resting stations, and so many additional little details.

Tables and benches under the Metrorail where  residents are able to take advantage of the fine Miami weather. (Alina Figueroa)

Phase 1
Phase 1 has different locations featuring a unique factor. The first location is called The River Room and it is located in the northern terminal of the Underline. The River Room connects to the Miami River Greenway at SW 7th Street and the Miami River. The ‘Room’ is filled with native grasses, plants, flowers, trees, and pollinating plants.

Then, there is the Urban Gym that is located between SW 7th and 8th Streets. It is an outdoor gym where anyone can exercise with a friend, or alone. There is a stretching and strengthening station, a half-court basketball court, a mini soccer field, and a running track.

The Underline’s Uraban Gym at 4 pm on a weekday in full use with people enjoying it to the max. (Alina Figueroa )

In addition, there is also a room called The Promenade. It is located between SW 8th Street and the Brickell Metrorail station. It is a 700-square foot stage with a 2300-square foot plaza sponsored by Florida Power & Light.

The last location of Phase 1 is The Oolite Room. The Oolite Room is located in the first half mile of the Underline. This room features four butterfly gardens in the natural stone canyon that maintains a variating list of plant species that attract and feed endangered pollinator species, and that are the first of 20 planned butterfly gardens along the 10-mile project.

“So far, Phase 1 has turned out to be a beautiful outdoor space that people seem to enjoy so much. There are people everywhere, eating, walking or riding a bike. People all seem to be enjoying the outside and the nice weather,” said sophomore, Andrea Interiano.

Phase 2
Phase 2 is now in the process of being constructed and is expected to be be completed and open to the public in the summer of 2023. Phase 2 will be located on SW 13th Street to SW 19th Avenue, and it is a total of 2.14 miles. It will include the Simpson Park Playground Area, Vizcaya Station Plaza, and 17th Avenue Plaza.

Phase 3
Lastly, Phase 3 of the Underline is the segment that connects SW 19th Ave to its terminal at the Dadeland South Metrorail station. This phase is a 7.73- mile segment. Throughout all the phases, they remain with the same goals and priorities, that being the safety of pedestrians and to restore nature.

“This project has only gone to show how nature is a great part of our world, and how important it is to protect it and enjoy it,” said sophomore, Olivia Ogus.

Art sculptures and a fun little playground-like garden. (Alina Figueroa )

The total construction cost of the whole project is going to be $92,975,389.50.
The construction funding came form the State of Florida, Miami-Dade County, the City of Miami, the USDOT Build and many others.

The Underline Project is something that will help people realize how important nature is and how to take care of the planet by highlighting the importance of being outside. So, look forward to the continuation of the project as there is still much more in store.