The Lumen Foundation: A Great Opportunity for STEAM Students

Logo representing Lumen.

Lumen Global

Logo representing Lumen.

Penelope Martinez, Entertainment Editor

The STEAM Health Science class (along with the sophomore and senior STEAM Health Science classes) have been invited to a presentation about an internship for the Lumen Foundation via two graduates of the STEAM Health Science Focus, Jacques Calixte and Ivette Acosta. Jacques Calixte, who is an undergrad at the University of Miami and is a graduate of the STEAM Health Science Focus, wrote a summary of this internship opportunity:

“This would be an internship for the Lumen Foundation working under Dr. Sameer Mehta, the director and founder of Lumen and an interventional cardiologist. Dr. Mehta is dedicated to saving lives from heart attacks and creating population-based STEMI networks. He is also the author of five textbooks on STEMI Interventions that are typically referenced for AMI management.  He is a Fellow of the American College of Cardiology, an Emeritus Fellow of the Asia Pacific Society of Cardiology and a Fellow of the Cardiology Society of India. The Lumen Foundation has made a big impact worldwide to reduce the relevance of heart attack deaths especially in underrepresented areas without the benefits of healthcare we have.”

Lumen Logo

The Lumen Foundation and Dr. Mehta are currently in a partnership with Mount Sinai Hospital in NYC. This hospital is home to interventional cardiologists who have recorded cutting-edge cardiology procedures over the years and have even created a case library called CCCLiveCases. New researchers would be assigned to a trainer and then will be trained on how these videos are edited. These videos will soon be used for Medstream360 once it is started. Additionally, there is a mandatory meeting from 9-10 AM every other Saturday. This opportunity is perfect for students who are interested in medicine because they will get to learn from these procedures and cardiology as a whole.

Participating students will be exposed to professionals, including Dr. Mehta. There are many other opportunities as well that students will be able to experience through the Lumen Foundation.