What is the Point of School Dress Codes?

Illustration: Alexandra Perez

Did you know according to a study of middle- school-aged kids published in the Journal of School Violence, students noted that their peers are better behaved when wearing school uniforms. They also reported an increase in perceived safety and a decrease in bullying. (Lovetoknow.com)

Alexandra Perez, Opinion Editor

Many at ILS have been called out in school for not wearing thier school shirt under their sweaters, wearing sneakers, not having a ID, etc, leading many students no doubt wondering, “Why?” or “Is there really a need for all this?”

Wel,l the answer is simple: It’s all about following the dress code. Many schools have instituted these policies, “in an effort to minimize classroom distractions, reduce emphasis on students’ socioeconomic disparities, and keep schools safe.” (U.S. news.com).

I believe dress codes are reasonable, and put in place for a reason. I think our school’s dress code is reasonable, and we just have to respect it because  we are students here, and we have to respect the people with authority. One thing I don’t like is that we can only wear certain shirts on Friday. I would rather that be the case all week.

— Sophomore Ashley Garzon

Students must follow school policy and obey the dress code rules. When students do not wear a shirt under their sweater, it has the possibility to leave them in an awkward situation, for instance, if you get hot and want to take off your sweater or a uniform check takes place.

This is a topic that has been popular with students, and many do not agree or understand the reason for it.

As all ILS students know, our school does much to stress the importance of wearing the ID. The need for this is for security.

ILS students in each grade have a personal ID that helps identify them as a student. If for any case someone came to school without any ID or way of identification, it can be inferred that the person may pose a threat to the school and does not belong.

Students are obligated to follow the dress code rules set. While everyone is entitled to an opinion, at the end of the day, these limits have been set for an important reason—the health and safety of students and the greater  school community.