Mr. Eric Beltran And His Passion For Campus Ministry

Gabriela Pinate

Mr. Éric Beltran in the hallway just outside his office where he often works alongside Campus Ministry.

Gabriela Pinate, Writer

(Mr Eric Beltran, enjoys lunch with Sister Katie Flanagan, FMA, theology teacher, and Mr. Julio Soriano of Campus Ministry. (Gabriela Pinate)

He made me want to learn more about the world around me and other religions.

— Mr. Julio Soriano

Mr Eric Beltran was born in El Paso ,Texas but raised in Socorro, Texas.

He had a big family he has 6 brothers, and his dad was one out of ten brothers and sisters

As a kid he found it normal to be around a lot of people

He favorite thing about his childhood was how simple everything was.

Him and his family lived in a very safe place,  and he could have fun all day

Now he is a teacher, here at La Salle, and he has many jobs

Mr Beltran is many things at ILS: theology chair, part of Campus Ministry, director for student activities, husband of Mrs. Milly Beltran, and father of three.

Having spent nine years at ILS, Mr. Beltran enjoys everything about being a teacher, a profession he has longed to practice since developing a passion for it at age 16.

Something he finds really difficult about teaching is keeping students motivated to finish the school year well.

As everyone knows, as the school year draws to a close, many students begin to slack. Grades slip, and for many, staying motivated becomes a major challenge.

“I always try to motivate not only my students, but also my fellow faculty members to finish the year strong,” he said.

Though Mr. Beltran is a theology teacher, he actually earned his Bachelor’s degree in Biology. For his Master’s, he studied theology.

The process from science to Campus Ministry was a natural progression.

— Mr. Eric Beltran

In addition to serving theology chair, he relishes his role as part of Campus Ministry. He originally got into Campus Ministry because he had a wonderful college experience where he attended a retreat.

The retreat changed not only changed his life, but it was also where he met his wife.

Mr. Beltran is regarded by his students as a kind and humorous teacher who is very much involved behind the scenes as the lead in student activities.

At ILS, several faculty members were once students in his class, including Ms. Izabella Orelle and Mr. Julio Soriano.

Ms. Orelle said Mr. Beltran was a good, solid teacher.

He was a very fair teacher. If someone messed up, he felt as if he had messed up.

— Mrs. Izabella Orelle

Julio Soriano said Mr Beltran was a great teacher.

“He was patient and understood his subject matter extremely well,” he said.