After a Promising Start, BeReal Loses Large Number of Users

Alexandra Perez

Although BeReal claims to be global, it is only offered in seven languages out of the 7000 used worldwide.

Alexandra Perez, Opinion Editor

BeReal is a popular app that saw its rise in early 2022, casting a spell on teens all around the globe due to its uniqueness when compared to other social media apps. But like all magical spells, its effect has broken.

Only one year later, the app has begun to witness its downfall. The popular photo-sharing app let users share one photo per day to show their followers what they are doing at that moment. BeReal users receive a notification at a random time in the day and have two minutes to post an unfiltered, in the moment photo. BeReal users can only view other users posts if they post a photo themselves.

It differs from other social media platforms by encouraging users to share unfiltered images of their lives, and by only allowing one post per day. How can an app that seems so healthy and positive experience such a demise? 

Believe it or not, the number of BeReal users has dropped over 60 percent. From 73.5 million users in August, to then 15 million in October, the app plummeted to less than 6 million in March, and these numbers keep descending. (theverge.com).

“The app has become annoying and began to feel like a chore. The daily BeReal notification popping up became something to dread, and not to look forward to. I just deleted the app. I wasn’t using it anymore,” said sophomore Isabella Estrada.

Another student, freshman Emma Angeli shares Isabella’s sentiments.

“I think it’s dead and nobody uses it. It went downhill because people would wait to post when they looked good and they weren’t being real,” she explained.

BeReal is not fully down the drain given its 6 million users.

I still use BeReal. I’ve definitely noticed I’m one of the few people who use it, but I still like to see what my friends in El Salvador are doing, since I don’t see them often.

— Sophomore Andrea Interiano

Given that BeReal is a global app, its use is widespread; though, BeReal is most popular in the United States where it has experienced its greatest decline (TechCrunch).