Seniors Valentina Gonzalez,Isabella Brand, Antonella Velasquez, Mia Mena, Daniela Quirós, Miranda Dunbar, and Megan Dominguez, taking pictures before prom .
A Night to Remember
Antonella Velasquez, Editor-in-Chief • April 29, 2024
Alumna Ilen Perez-Valdes was recently recognized as a part of the Step Up alumni network.
Step Up Recognizes ILS Students
Mrs. Monica Orelle, Special Contributor • April 25, 2024
ILS Varsity Baseball team has been quite active for the 2024 season.
The ILS Varsity Baseball Team Defeated Dr Krop HS 8-2
Nick Fernandez, Hannah Brewster Sports Editor • April 25, 2024

Blind-Sided

Is the Oscar-Award Winning Film a Lie?
Illustration Penelope Martinez
Is The Blind Side story too good to be true, or is their more to it?

The Blind Side was a feel good movie based on a true story about an underprivileged black teen who has a passion for football and the family that took him in, becoming his legal guardians. In recent weeks this wholesome come under scrutiny. Featuring Sandra Bullock in the lead role, the film debuted a decade ago in 2009, yet resurfaced when retired NFL player, Michael Oher, the aforementioned teen, alleged the family never adopted him, and never compensated him from the movie proceeds.

The “Dark” Side
Oher asserts  the Tuohy family, Sean and Leigh Anne, made money off the movie while he received none of the profit. The film earned over $300 million at the box office and was nominated for Best Picture. The Tuohys are accused as having exploited his name for years to their own benefit. Many critics also have stated that the story was a “white savior” moment and these new allegations might just prove them right. According to ESPN, Oher filed a 14-page petition in Tennessee’s Shelby County.

Possible Conservatorship?
Oher states he was never actually adopted by Sean and Leigh Anne Tuohy. Instead, he says he was tricked into a conservatorship. If you’re sitting there, wondering what a conservatorship entails, just think of Brittany Spears and her father. A conservatorship is basically a court-appointed process which gives an individual the right to manage an adult’s finances. He is currently asking that the court ends the conservatorship and takes away the right for his name to be used by the family for profit. He is also hoping to receive an estimate of all the money made since 2009 film, and that he receive his proper share of. So far, the case is still open.

The “Other” Side                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Just as Oher has his supporters, so do the Tuohy family. They say they never adopted Michael because he was already 18, a fact mentioned not only in the film, but also in Oher’s autobiography published some years ago. In addition, the Tuohy did not need to make money off of anyone as they were already millionaires who owned a number of fast-food franchises. Recently, they sold their interests for well north of $200 million. Lastly, the Tuohys and Michael received thousands of dollars each with the couple as wel as their two biological children.

$0
$500