Alumna Ilen Perez-Valdes was recently recognized as a part of the Step Up alumni network.
Step Up Recognizes ILS Students
Mrs. Monica Orelle, Special Contributor • April 25, 2024
ILS Varsity Baseball team has been quite active for the 2024 season.
The ILS Varsity Baseball Team Defeated Dr Krop HS 8-2
Nick Fernandez, Hannah Brewster Sports Editor • April 25, 2024
These Images feature the different displays of Octobuddies for those considering purchasing one.
Octobuddy: Trend or Need
Aubree Arango, Writer • April 25, 2024

TikTok Shop: The Death of In-Person Shopping

Consumer Alert for those who Shop on TikTok
This image illustrates the benefits as well as risks of online shopping.
Robbert Noordzij

TikTok Shop Origins:
TikTok is probably one of the most addictive apps to date. Members practically have the world at their hands and will spend hours scrolling. Recently, TikTok introduced a new concept known as “TikTok Shop” where members can go on the app and purchase various items from perfumes to clothes. TikTok has been pushing the shop to viewers with links popping up on every other video. It is very easy to purchase an item, almost too easy. Just click one or two buttons and now you have a tank top on the way. The company started beta-testing last year, first in Indonesia, and later in the UK. It eventually arrived in the US in November of last year.

Problems with TikTok Shop:
Many sellers have been creating (seemingly) unlicensed merch, like a flag with the words Taylor Swift For President in big letters. Others have been overcharging products such as $50 face masks. It’s harmful to entrepreneurs who have built an online business on their own and feel the need to start over on a TikTok shop.

Becky Entrican, a 23-year-old from Indiana, said she bought a shirt from a seller with 11k likes. This was in February. The item still hasn’t arrived. This seems to be the biggest problem as there is no way to differentiate legit business people and scammers since it is very easy for a grifter to create his own shop. Even though the TikTok shop is “supposedly” blocked for users under the age of 18, there isn’t a real way to verify this. Minors can still encounter possible dangerous products for sale through the search bar.

Purchase Responsibly:
If you are into the idea of buying something through the shop, do some research. Check out other sites such as Etsy to see if the seller has a real presence and good reviews. Don’t focus on things like TikTok follower counts or comment sections.

Read real reviews, and shop safely!

$0
$500