Online versus In person shopping can offer the consumer a variety of choices.
Online Vs. Shopping In Person
Daniela Beltran, Writer • May 1, 2024
Seniors Valentina Gonzalez,Isabella Brand, Antonella Velasquez, Mia Mena, Daniela Quirós, Miranda Dunbar, and Megan Dominguez pose for pictures before prom begins.
A Night to Remember
Antonella Velasquez, Editor-in-Chief • April 29, 2024
Alumna Ilen Perez-Valdes was recently recognized as a part of the Step Up alumni network.
Step Up Recognizes ILS Students
Mrs. Monica Orelle, Special Contributor • April 25, 2024
ILS Varsity Baseball team has been quite active for the 2024 season.
The ILS Varsity Baseball Team Defeated Dr Krop HS 8-2
Nick Fernandez, Hannah Brewster Sports Editor • April 25, 2024

Renewable Energy is Available in Miami

Solar panels are the ideal way to capture the suns rays and turn them in renewable energy.
Luna Fernandez
Solar panels are the ideal way to capture the sun’s rays and turn them in renewable energy.

In Florida, most electricity comes from natural gas, which burns cleaner than coal but is still a fossil fuel that emits greenhouse gas.

Natural gas and biomass have been very helpful in Florida’s fight against coal. However, other clean alternatives like solar and wind power are more sustainable for long-term electricity production.

Senior Jasmine Gutierrez has always been invested in the environment.

“Miami has abundant sunlight, which makes solar energy a viable and potentially abundant source. Solar panels can be installed on rooftops and in open areas to harness this energy

Miami, like many other cities, utilizes various renewable resources to promote sustainability and reduce environmental impact. Some basic renewable resources commonly used in Miami include:

• Solar Energy:
    • Solar panels are employed to harness energy from the sun for electricity generation.
    • Solar water heaters are used to provide hot water for residential and commercial purposes.
  • Wind Energy:
    • Wind turbines are installed in certain areas to capture wind energy and convert it into electricity.
  • Bioenergy:
    • Biomass and biofuels may be used for power generation and transportation.
    • Organic waste can be converted into biogas through anaerobic digestion.

Junior Carolina Moreno is all about reusing energy

“Creating renewable energy at home is a great way to reduce your environmental impact and potentially save on energy costs. For example solar panels, Install solar panels on your roof or in your yard to harness energy from the sun. This energy can be used to power your home or stored in batteries for later use,” she said.

Sophmore Emma Angeli thinks that renewable energy in Miami is simple.

“In Miami, adopting renewable energy is increasingly easy. Abundant sunshine makes solar energy a practical choice, and supportive government policies offer incentives for residents to invest in green technologies,” she said.

With a growing eco-conscious community, the ease of embracing renewable energy practices is on the rise, making Miami a favorable environment for sustainable living.

• Energy-Efficient Lighting:
    • Switch to energy-efficient LED or CFL light bulbs, which use less electricity and last longer than traditional incandescent bulbs.
  • Smart Thermostats:
    • Install a smart thermostat that adjusts your home’s temperature based on your preferences and occupancy, optimizing energy use and reducing heating and cooling costs.
  • Wind-Powered Devices:
    • Use small-scale wind-powered devices, such as portable wind turbines or small wind generators, to harness wind energy for charging devices or lighting small spaces.
    • These simple measures not only contribute to sustainability, but can also lead to cost savings over time. They are relatively easy to implement and make a positive impact on reducing your carbon footprint.

It seems like Miami doesn’t have a problem with renewable energy after all.

$0
$500