Always Late: The Adverse Effects of Chronic Tardiness

An ILS’s Student Attendance Record records a number of pieces of information including habitual tardiness.
Brecelis Valdes

Everyone’s had a morning or two where you are running late, whether it’s because you accidentally slept in a few minutes or an unexpected inconvenience. However, when it becomes a habit and not just a morning or two, its effects can be substantial.

To begin, if you are running late then you’re going to miss breakfast. It’s for good reason they say breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It provides you with nutrients essential to a productive day. When students don’t have these nutrients, they struggle to remain focused and productive while in class. This can make it difficult for students to understand new material that they may receive assignments or if they are tested.

“I’ve noticed that when I miss breakfast in the mornings I’m not as on task as I normally am,” said junior Mila Polidori- Nicolau.

Not only does tardiness affect students themselves, but also their education. When a student comes in late they are a disruption to the class. The teacher has to stop and give the student the instructions or assignments they missed, consequently affecting the progress of the rest of the students. They may also miss important morning announcements that are given at the beginning of the school day. This constant disruption can result in resentment towards them from their peers and teachers.

Lastly, it demonstrates a gaping absence of interest and motivation. Constantly being late shows that students have no respect for others’ time or their responsibilities. This can be disrespectful and unprofessional on their part. These effects are even more adverse when students are out in the real world. If you are regularly late to class, it will be an uphill battle to ask that teacher to then write you a letter of recommendation at the end of the school year.

“I find it extremely distracting when students are always late. It usually stops the teacher from sharing important instructions, “ added junior Gianna Ferrara.

$0
$500