Athlete Spotlight: Jonathan Oliva

Anthony Yero, Editor

The ILS Instagram Athletic Spotlight featured senior point guard Jonathan Oliva last Thursday. Oliva transferred to ILS as a junior and has since served as the team captain for the basketball team.

“Coming into a new school and having to fit in with a new team, I just remained myself,” Oliva said.

Oliva’s path to being the captain wasn’t a joy ride. Before transferring to ILS, he didn’t play his first two years of high school basketball. Oliva then made the decision to change schools and begin his high school basketball career.

It took time for Oliva to get comfortable, as he served as a role player his Junior year. He was able to learn from then senior Alex Cicilia.

“Alex tough me how to lead and how important it was to give it all you have in your last year.”

As a senior, Oliva averaged 10 points and 5 assists per game as a starter for the Royal Lions. His best performance of the season came against Westminster Christian, where he scored 27 points and drained 7 threes.

Most importantly, Oliva left his mark on an ILS basketball team that will have six seniors next season. Emilio Ramirez, Joshua Fernandez, Wael Harb, Michael Yero, Anthony Yero and Steven Patino will all look to make their season year the year to win. 

“I showed them how good they can be if they just put in effort like I did,” said Oliva.

Off the court, Oliva was successful in the classroom. So much so that he will be attending Barry University on an academic scholarship where he will study Physical Therapy.

“Johny Oliva is an amazing young man,” said ILS Athletic Director Nick Fernandez. “Great kid to be around, super dedicated to his carder and an awesome person. Johny is always someone you will catch working on his jump shot in the gym or coming by to say hi and talk. He has a really bright future ahead of himself and I wish Johny [Oliva] the absolute best! He will be missed at ILS!”