What’s Happening With HOSA Club?

23 ILS students placed top-5 at the HOSA regional awards banquet.

Camilla Diez, Editor

This 2020-2021 school year at ILS, HOSA is available for any student student who is interested in the health care industry can join.

HOSA, Health Occupations Students of America, is an international student organization that promotes career opportunities in the health care industry. This club is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education and the Health Science Education.

“HOSA provides a unique program of leadership development, motivation, and recognition exclusively for secondary, postsecondary, adult, and collegiate students enrolled in health science education, biomedical science programs and/or have interests in pursuing careers in the healthcare field,” said Mr. Jose Companioni, HOSA moderator. 

Any student who wants to join HOSA is able to, with one requirement which is to be an involved and activate participation within the club. But, every student that is part of the STEAM Health Science students must be a member of this club. 

This years club board includes: 

• President- Camyle Pliopa
  • Vice-President: Gaby Echarri 
  • Secretary: Sophia Hidalgo 
  • Treasurer: Ana Ulivi 
  • Editor: Samantha Getchell 
  • Competition Coordinator: Isabel Trespalacios 
  • Sophomore Liason: to be determined 
  • Freshman Liason: Samantha Villamizar 

During the year students in HOSA grow their knowledge about healthcare. With that they start of the year by participating in a day in the life of a nurse at Mercy hospital. This allows students to expand their knowledge on what nurses do and how their work looks like.

“HOSA focuses on exposing students to the health care field throughout the year. One of our first events is “A Day in the Life,” which allows students to shadow a health care provider around Mercy Hospital for a certain portion of a day. Competition season for HOSA begins near the end of fall, where students choose a certain field to compete in.” said President Camyle Pliopa.

HOSA has also teamed up with OneBlood for students who are interested in donating blood. “Throughout the year, HOSA hosts blood drives, participated in several fundraising events, and its members participate in competitions,” said treasurer of HOSA, Ana Ulivi

HOSA participates in many competitions throughout the year. These competitions are for students to be tested on their knowledge about healthcare. They can have two or three rounds.

Typically in the first round is held in October/November, where students take a test. This test is taken in order to qualify for the second round. 

The second round takes place at  Robert Morgan Educational Center, where students display their knowledge by competing in demonstrations, speeches, or other tests. Then round three allows students to travel to Orlando, Fl.

“In March those who qualify and pass through the second round are sent to states in Orlando, FL to compete against other students from all around Florida. We have had students, in the past, who placed top 3 in States and those students compete nationally against students around the US,” said Companioni.

HOSA club members have the opportunity year around to not only gain knowledge but to prove it as well at competitions.