Homecoming Parade and Wishbone Collections: A Halloween Full of Service

The seniors’ Homecoming and Wishbone collection station

Lauren Fernández, Writer

On Saturday, October 31st, ILS students and parents made their way around campus to collect Homecoming materials and donate to the annual Wishbone Project sponsored by the National Honor Society. NHS members and SGA representatives showed up bright and early to prepare for the day’s activities. 

Different stations around campus were decorated with each grade’s Homecoming color and designed so that people could easily drive by and collect their Homecoming shirt and goodie bag from an SGA member, while an NHS member collected their donation.

In the Royal Lion spirit, volunteers danced to upbeat music and greeted everyone with a smile under their masks. 

Senior Mary Katherine Steward has worked with the NHS Wishbone Project for the past two years and decided to volunteer on Saturday.

“This experience was obviously very different because of the safety precautions we took, but I am glad we were able to collect food for these families in need,” Steward said. 

All collection stations were outside for safety and health reasons, and even though it was Halloween, Miami was not graced with cool fall weather. Luckily, Ms. Varese made several rounds on the golf cart, bringing cool waters and snacks to volunteers and teachers. The high spirit on Saturday was the perfect beginning to Homecoming Week!