No Grad Bash for ILS Seniors in 2021

Grad bash has been cancelled for senior class of 2021

No Grad Bash for ILS Seniors in 2021

Ryan Desalle, Writer

Many schools in Florida have decided to cancel their participation in Universal Studio’s Grad Bash this year. For class of 2021, this includes ILS since administration has determined it is not yet safe to attend the trip this year.

Universal Studios is yet to officially cancel the event officially. Their website still lists the Grad Bash dates as: April 16, 17, 23, 24 & 30, 2021 from 7:00 PM to 2:00 AM.

They describe the event on their site this way:

Grad Bash is a once-in-a-lifetime, rite-of- passage celebration for high school seniors. Seniors will enjoy an exciting night with their friends in Florida’s only grad celebration with exclusive, private access to thrilling rides and attractions. Plus, there’s a live concert with one of today’s hottest acts, live DJs, street entertainment, and more.

Although Universal Studios is selling tickets for Grad Bash 2021, many schools, including ILS, are not ready to restart the tradition.

With vaccines being distributed to the elderly and healthcare workers, COVID-19 cases are still fluctuating in Florida. Although there has been a decrease in hospitalizations and deaths, COVID remains ever present in Florida and can still affect those who have been and have not yet been vaccinated.

Administration from Seminole County school district stated the following recently: “With vaccine distribution still moving slowly and cases in the county still rising, the conditions are just not safe enough.” Numerous parents and students are angered by the statements made by the administration.

Along with Seminole county schools districts, Orange county has decided to cancel their participation in Grad Bash as well.

Senior Andrea Piñate is disappointed with this development.

“I really do not understand why we cannot have a grad bash this year,” Piñate said. “Universal Studios is opened and following social distancing guidelines. I have been three time this year since the start of covid and the staff is really on top of keeping guest safe during these times.”

While this is certainly a disappointing development for the Class of 2021, seniors can rest assured knowing ILS administration has the health and well being in mind for their students and their families.