2021 Edition of ‘iNKLiNGS’ Published!

Staff

For the last 15 years, the English and Fine Arts departments have come together in an effort to publish the work of ILS’s talented student creators. The literary and arts magazine, iNKLiNGS, showcases this work for all to enjoy, providing a creative outlet for writers, artists, and photographers of the school community. But this year’s edition breathed new life into this tradition.

Because of the shifting realities of publishing and the pandemic, it was decided that the 2021 edition for iNKLiNGS would be best delivered electronically. Mrs. Ana Roman-Gonzalez, ILS’s Creative Writing teacher and moderator for the publication, worked closely with the school’s tech team and Nancy Kuznicki, ILS’s Apple coach, to make this a reality.

This year’s edition, Volume XVI, follows last year’s “special edition” that was delayed by COVID but ultimately published with creative and heartfelt work. Sections include Poetry and Photography, Narratives and Visual Arts.

The digital publication of the magazine allowed the class to incorporate other mediums, including audio and video, where the artists themselves get to read the work and walk readers through their creative process. Once readers are in the magazine, links to the additional audio and video content appear right on the pages themselves. 

“Readers will be able to not just enjoy narratives, different types of poetry and art but also listen to the authors’ recitals and background information,” said Mrs. Roman-Gonzalez. “Creative writing students have been working hard pairing texts with illustrations in a creative way to provide both a digital and hard copy version of this year’s Inklings.”

To help organize submissions throughout the process, Mrs. Roman-Gonzalez used Padlet to accept work from teachers and students.

“It looks amazing!” said she of the finished product. “Our students will be so proud to see their work published this way. It truly has been a collaborative effort.”

Creative Writing III students, junior Emma Rodriguez and senior Alessandra Hernandez, served as editors for the magazine. 31 different ILS students have their work published in the magazine.

“It’s been a fantastic journey to work and contribute to this year’s literary magazine,” said Rodriguez. “Just getting to create and contribute to something that is going to be shared with the school community is very rewarding. Being a writer myself, it made me proud that I got to write something special for everyone to read.”

“This is truly gorgeous!” said ILS Dean of Innovation Ms. Aliesha Jurado. “The students did such a wonderful job and all the interactive features add another dimension to the magazine.”

Every year since 2004, with the help of teachers and students alike, the English and Fine Arts department publish an issue of an Inklings magazine. This magazine features a wide range of students work over the year, for all different English/Arts classes. Some of these classes involved in the magazine’s production include: Creative Writing I, II, & III, Digital Arts STEAM, 3D Animation, and Photography. From these classes students are able to produce work like poetry, fine and digital arts, narrative fiction and non-fiction, and photography.

This year’s edition of the magazine has been published as an eBook via Apple Books. Follow this link to enjoy iNKLiNGS! You can also find a link to the magazine on ILS’s website: ILSRoyals.com.