Triple Threat: Who is Sebastian Debora?

Maya Martinez

Sebastian Debora looks off to the distance, while reflecting on his time at ILS.

Maya Martinez, News Editor

Sebastian Debora is a sophomore, whose dedication, confidence and bubbly personality shine through all of his accomplishments at ILS. Debora previously attended Sts. Peter and Paul Catholic School before coming to ILS one year ago. His hobbies include mostly watching movies and film analysis, among also reading comics, playing lacrosse, and video games. His love for video games sprung at age 9 when he got his first Xbox 360.

“Before freshman year, I built, with the help of my dad, my first computer. Before that, I’ve always had an Xbox,” Debora explained.

Debora is involved with three major extracurriculars at ILS, which are Engineering Society, Drama Club, and Lacrosse. He joined the Engineering Society because that is a requirement for the STEM Engineering course. Soon he grew to love being apart of it. Something he looks forward about it is Engineering Day, where middle schoolers from different Catholic schools come to ILS and partake in different engineering activities. He was inspired by his sister, who recently graduated, to be part of the Drama Club. This year he will play the role of Professor Plum in the upcoming drama production, Clue.  

“When I went to see the plays, I fell in love with the acting and wanted to be that. So my freshman year, I joined,”he said. 

As the midfielder of the ILS Lacrosse Team since his freshman year, he’s helped lead his team to victory. Surprisingly, the first sport he ever played was lacrosse, which he only joined last February. For 10 months, he’s been practicing the sport and preparing for the upcoming season. He knew he wanted to join when Coach Anthony Vuono sent out an email looking for new students to be part of the team. He thought it would be a great opportunity to get involved and get in better shape. 

“I want to leave a mark at La Salle in the Lacrosse team by helping it grow,” he said. 

His main inspiration is his father. His dad is from Cuba, and came to the US when he was only 18. Eventually, his father was able to bring his parents over to the US as well.  Debora explained the hardships his father had faced growing up, and how it has shaped him into the dad he is today. He admires how hard his father has worked.

“He went through it all, but he never gave up. And he worked, and now he owns his own business. He went from sweeping floors in a factory to working for another business to now owning his own business. He has shown me that you can have the whole world against you, but still make it,” he said. 

Something that he enjoys about La Salle is the teachers’ dedication. He appreciates how much the teachers at ILS genuinely care for students, and love what they are doing. Also, how the teachers  are able to efficiently teach students while also having fun. Another aspect of the school he likes is the food, and explained how it always puts him in a good mood. Playing sports also makes La Salle worthwhile to him. Debora says that his main inspiration in Lacrosse is their team captain, Oscar. 

“The one thing that I love the most about La Salle is the people I’ve met here. That’s what made the environment for me. I’m able to go to practice and joke around with my friends and have fun. It makes the experience great,”he explained. 

He has many goals for the future. One of them is becoming an engineer, at three specific places, one of them being Disney World. Debora is a big fan of Disney and being apart of their behind-the-scenes intrigues him. Another option he would enjoy would to be an engineer at his family’s company, which is a business that creates conveyor belts. The third option that he is hoping for is to work at NASA. Recently, he visited NASA and saw a close up of spaceship parts, rovers, among other things. This inspired him because, just like Disney, his dream is to be in the room where it happens. 

“I want to be apart of the greatness. I’m in it to win it. Go big or go home. That’s the mindset I have,” he said.